Chapter I: Miss Allegra Carter

Chapter 1- Miss Allegra Carter

I woke up hours before my alarm clock, as usual, in my Manhattan’s apartment in another sunny day of mid-August. It was just 5 o’clock in the morning and I got up from my comfortable bed to prepare for my morning jog. I went straight to the bathroom and washed my face before drying it with a towel. I sighed, took off my pajama painfully slowly and throw it in the hamper. I went back in my bedroom and looked for one of my many running outfits. I decided to go for a black t-shirt and a pair of black shorts. I put on my favorite pair of running shoes, got my mobile phone and my keys, and left my penthouse.

Halfway through my run in Central park, I received a text from my best friend Laurence. I grumbled, took out my I-phone and controlled the text.

“Nobu’s, Tonight, 7 p.m.” the text said.               

I snorted and decided to call the man. Who is normal enough to send a text at what- 6 in the morning?

“Hey Chris, whatcha doing?”

I sighed, frustrated “How many times do I have to tell you that I would appreciate if you didn’t try to get on my nerves straight in the morning, especially by not speaking proper English?” I absolutely detest slang. Why can’t teachers teach proper English in schools anymore? People, nowadays, all go around saying things such as “wanna”, “gonna”, “coulda”, “shouldda”.

“You know that I love getting on your nerves, man. That is my first source of entertainment.” He laughed.

I sighed, deciding to ignore his playfulness. “What is your text about?”

“Well, tonight, you are having dinner with me, my girlfriend and her best friend.”

“Finally I get to meet the famous Giselle, the girl who was successful in enchanting the great Laurence.” I said sarcastically.

“Man, you still mad at me because I didn’t let you meet her sooner, aren’t ya?” he asked sheepishly.

“No…” Okay, I was still mad at him for that reason, but let’s be serious. You don’t date a girl for what, a year and a half, without introducing her to your best friend. At first, he had the excuse of me not living in New York, but still. I had moved back to New York City a year before, after having worked for a couple of years between London and Milan. “Anyways, I’d be delighted to meet her.”

“You’ll adore her, don’t worry. But please, don’t fall in love with her, okay? If you want to develop feelings for anyone, do it for her best friend.” he joked.

“Are you being serious, Laurence? How many times do I have to tell you that I don’t need a woman in my life, right now? I’m just 32 years old. Give me 5 more years and maybe I will start thinking about it.” Laurence and his attempt at making me date someone every time he dates someone so I’d be happy as much as he is. I swear if he wasn’t my best friend he would have been dead already.

“That’s what you think, man. However, we so know that you feel alone and that you need someone to melt that icy heart of yours.”

“Thanks a lot, Laurence.” I snorted “Listen, you’re making me lose precious time. I have to go home and get ready for work.”

“Whatever. You’re coming tonight?”

“Count me in.” I smiled.

If I had known back then that after that dinner, many problems would have risen, I sure as hell wouldn’t have gone, but I was happy. I wanted to meet Giselle, and I was curious about the best friend Laurence wanted me to meet.