Chapter 1; Dinner hell

edited

The cold autumn wind howled in the distance, trees shaking at the feral wind nipping and clawing at the children on the ground below. Laughing and running after each other, squealing in joy at each other's company.
A lone girl sat on a bench, far away from the other children of her age group, her class. So to speak. The grass below was shriveling up and was crisp beneath her only foot. Sitting in complete stillness, hoping that the rest of her class wouldn't see her sitting in the shade of the tree she was sitting under. The leaves were a deep brown, threatening to fall if a big burst of wind would swing by.

"tag! your it!" 

The sound of playing and laughter held Hannie on edge. 

Playing with the sides of her soft pink dress with a deeper colored pink cherry blossom pattern embroidered in the bottom of the dress.

Oh, how she wished to play with the other kids, to just be with them, run with them and, just be accepted.

Too bad that wouldn't happen anytime soon.

Hannie looked at the dress she wore, only one limb sticking out of the dress and dangling above the ground slightly, not daring to move from her spot underneath the shaded tree, waiting for her father to pick her up out of his work. She hoped he would come to get her soon, Hannie didn't know how much longer her luck would last with her bullies. It wasn't like she could outrun them, she only had a single leg, the other leg- was just a stump for a knee.

A small beetle car a shade of light yellow came into the view of the school street, slowing down to a stop near the play area where the kids, including Hannie, would spend their time after school there. Not that she had that much of a choice, considering walking was not an option.

Getting up from the bench she sat at, grabbing her fox brown child-like backpack and swinging it on her back again Hannie started to hop her way towards her Father's Light yellow car. When she got near the car a man with yet black hair stepped out in a business suit. He was clad like a professional of some sort.

"Hello, daddy."

Hannie's voice came out soft but with an undertone of tiredness from all the jumping she did throughout the day,

Not to mention the constant comments and remarks about her leg, she felt like she could fall asleep any moment.

The businessman walked around from the driver side to the otherside of the car to help Hannie over the fence that kept all the kids in the play area, no words were exchanged during the process of helping her get over the fence and into the passenger seat of the car.

"How was your day?" Came her father's voice, it sounded more like a surveillance question rather than an actual concern, Hannie didn't know any better, and thought it was a genuine question. "I learned more math, and I-" Stopping herself mid speech before she got to excited she thought about what she was going to say, she didn't want to mention the teasing anymore. Her parents already told her to get over it. "-I sat under a tree again..." she sounded more like a broken Radio station that slowly lost more and more frequency the further you were out of reach. Getting quieter and quieter until there was nothing but silence.

Her father turned on the radio and a soft jazz song came on.

Those were his favourite.

they finally came home and the sun was starting to set, creating a soft yellow glow that covered the streets and grass that was in her sight. "Come,  Henna is waiting." father said as he stepped out of the car and onto the dead grass that belonged to their garden. The parasol in their garden was broken and hung limply from its once sturdy wooden pole and hung towards the right over a pond they had in their garden. There was nothing alive in the pond.

Her father knocked on the door and a woman in her mid thirties opened the door for her husband. «welcome home!» she said quickly and quietly as she kissed her husband's cheek, only to jog back inside, weather to run from the door or to get back to preparing dinner. The man with the black hair and faint wrinkles walked inside, little hannie jumped over to the door and jumped inside the house she feared but longed to be at during school hours.

"dinners ready!" a cheerful voice said and Hannie jumped over to the dinner table, she could already feel the knot in her stomach start to tighten, like a heavy rock in the pit of her stomach it caused Hannie to feel shivers all over.

No matter what she tried to do or say, Dinner was always hell.