7: Cat's cradle or Cat's trap?

It was dark. Very dark.

The only noise echoing through the ruined hall was the panting breaths of the other companions, and the sound of my heart pounding in my ears.

I was about to ask if there was any way to get some light when a faint glow was emitted from the top of Gandalf's staff. I didn't know how much I appreciated it though, because as soon as the light shone across the old man's face, I could tell how much trouble we were in.

"We now have but one choice...we must face the long dark of Moria. Be on your guard...there are older and fouler things than the Orcs in the deep places of the world."

Now that we were out of harm's way - for the time being- I had a chance to see who had saved me from being left behind. I twisted in the persons arms, but winced as a sharp pain raced up the side of my ribcage. Now frantic to get out of that position, I squirmed until the figure had no choice but to place me on my feet.

I turned around slowly, hoping not to further injure whatever had been damaged in my fall from the rocky wall. Part of me was expecting Boromir to be the one holding me, but my suspicions were quickly dismissed when I recognised the tattered coat that belonged to the Ranger that had been quite patient with me.

"Are you alright?" asked Aragorn. In the dark I couldn't see his face, but his tone was clipped and rough, as if he were growing tired of my feeble attempts at bravery.

"Fine. Thank you for coming back for me" I said quietly, turning to follow behind the rest of the company, who were already commencing the long trek up the stairs ahead of us.

I could feel my body screaming in protest, my left leg ached, and my ribs were willing me to stop, but I had to keep up. There was no more time for second chances. The patience of the company was wearing thin, as Aragorn showed me.

We walked long into the night - or what I guessed was night - I couldn't tell, as we only moved further into the mountain and small pockets of light were becoming few and far between.

The company was quiet, the caves had a dark and sinister air to them, and no one wanted to risk being found by whoever, or whatever, had killed all the dwarves inside the doors.

"Quietly, now." Said Gandalf. "It's a four day journey to the other side. Let us hope that our presence will go unnoticed."

As we entered a new chamber, the amount of bodies was unnerving. The graves were desecrated, skeletons strewn about and strange marking written on the walls in what I assumed was dwarf blood. The air was tense with worry and despair, and everyone was completely on edge.

Quite a while later, we entered a fairly large chamber with a path that split into three passages. Gandalf, who was leading our line, paused, looking back and forth between the entryways.

"I have no memory of this place" he murmured.

"Perhaps then this would be an appropriate time to provide a break for the Hobbits..." said Boromir.

"Yes...yes, I believe that would be wise" said Gandalf, walking over and sitting down on a rock centered between the three paths.

The rest of the company scattered around the room, the Hobbits went over into a corner, talking in hushed tones. Aragorn, Boromir and Gimli moved to the other side of the room, the dwarf frantically trying to convince the others of something.

I took a seat in the middle of the room, placing my head into my hands, willing the incessant pain to leave my body, when I felt something brush against me, and realised someone had sat down quietly next to me.

I pulled my head up, and saw Legolas sitting next to me. He offered me a small smile, which I returned forcedly. I looked away and murmured,

"I know we got off on the wrong foot, and I'm sorry."