Chapter 24: The Day Before My Birthday

Jonah's POV

When I came to, I was laying on my back, staring through my goggles, up at the sky. It was a light blue with yellow washed across it from the tint in my goggles. I could heard only faint sounds. Someone calling my name. A girl. Felicia. I blinked once and then twice. I could move my fingers. That's a good sign right?

"Jonah? Jonah can you hear me?" I saw someone coming into vision. Everything was blurred so I couldn't see much. I saw the outline of a person dressed in blue. There hair came tumbling down as they looked at me. I blinked once more trying to focus on who it was. Who was wearing blue? Felicia. "Jonah can you hear me?"

I squinted as she came into focus and I could see her face. Everything hurt. My back, my legs, my head. I tried sitting up but that was a bad idea. I got dizzy as I moved about an inch and fell back down. "Jonah." Felicia was calling my name again. I wish I could just tell her I as fine. I felt a drop of something land on my cheek. Is it raining? No , it's not. Am I...crying? Why would I be? I moved my eyes back and forth without  moving my head. That would have hurt too much. All I could see was blurred, fuzzy blobs.

"Jonah, can you hear me?" Alright that was not Felicia. It was a guy. It sounded so familiar. Like someone I had spent a lot of time with once. Andrew? My brother. Andrew. He pulled up my goggles. I blinked once and then tried focusing on him. he wasn't blurry anymore, but everything behind him was.

"Jonah, are you okay?"

I slowly opened my mouth and tried to talk. My voice came out cracked and choppy. "Ye...yes." I felt a hand come to my back and behind my head, just above my neck. It was Andrew and Seth. Things were coming into focus but it was still hard to see. Felicia and Sandra were close by. They were standing in front of me and Felicia had tears rolling down her cheeks. NO!!!

I put my arms up to pull her into a hug, but it hurt too much. I winced from the pain and Felicia came closer to me. "Jonah, I'm so sorry."

"Felicia, you didn't do anything," I said slowly, in between deep breathes. "It's okay."

I layed there on the ground in pain until the ski patrol came to help. They slowly got me on the snowmobile and drove me down to the ski lodge. They brought me to there mini hospital thing where they checked my back, my legs, and my head. They said I didn't break anything, but I would probably be soar for the next couple of days, possibly two weeks at the most. They said I didn't have brain damage but I would probably get headaches on and off for the next couple of weeks, along with the soarness.

 I was scraped up a little bit but nothing serious. They wrapped my back where the scrapes were, just so it wouldn't rub on my clothes and irritate the hell out of me. At this point I was annoyed that this was all happening the day before my birthday.

When they were all done checking me out, Seth and Andrew helped me to the lodge where I sat down and rested for awhile. Felicia sat in the chair across from me, barely taking her eyes off me to blink.

"You guys can go back out. Don't let me ruin your fun." It was the first day of vacation and I was on the verge of ruining it for everyone.

I looked at Andrew. Surely he would understand and go back out there. "No, Jonah. We're not going to leave you here alone."

"Andrew, you guys go. I'll be here when your done and ready to go. I can play on my phone. I can talk to people in here." I looked at the people around me. There was a family at the table to the left of ours and a couple at the one to the right of us.

I looked at Felicia who was shaking her head. "No," she said. She looked at Seth, "You guys go out and I will stay with Jonah. I don't want to leave him alone. I will make sure he's alright. Please go back out." She put her hands together and up in the air to show that she was begging them.