Chapter Three

"It has been decided," Aunt CC said the next morning at breakfast, "Anastasia will bring home your school assignments so you can stay home as much as you need. I know this all must be hard."

I only nodded. The lump in my throat was still there, and I was still fighting tears. Dewey sat curled up on my lap purring. I stroked his soft, gray back.

"She doesn't have to go to school?" Anastasia said. "That is so not fair!"

"Life isn't fair, Anastasia. You'll just have to get used to it." Uncle Richard said.

"I agree with sissy." Evangeline said. "We get to have a whole bunch of fun at school, and Josie Rose doesn't! It really isn't fair."

"Go finish getting ready for school, girls." Aunt CC said, taking their empty breakfast plates from them and put them in the sink.

Aunt CC turned to me. "Your uncle leaves for work in-" she looked at the clock and her eyes widened. "Richard! Get to work now or you'll be late! Again!" She called.

As he ran past us, he said with a grin, "It's not like I can get fired! I own the place!"

"That's no excuse to be late!" Aunt CC shook her head and looked at me. "As I was saying, your uncle works and though I don't work, I'm always busy around the town doing different things. So you are free to do whatever you wish, as long as its nothing bad or dangerous. Or get us banned from another place."

That last one sounded really specific. I looked at her with questioning eyes.

Aunt CC held up her hand and sighed. "Long story. Let's just say it involved a trapeze, circus monkeys, and Evengeline not knowing what she was getting into."

This made me laugh. The lump in my throat went away slightly.

"Anyway. Just have fun and explore the town. Here, some shopping money." Aunt CC handed me folded up dollar bills, and I put them in my pocket.

"Thank you." I said.

"Of course. Anytime you need anything, don't hesitate to ask." Aunt CC said.

I went up to my room and sat on my bed, pulling my suitcase up with me. I still hadn't unpacked it, though I needed to. I unzipped it and pulled out a light gray t-shirt and light blue jeggings.

I took the money out of my pocket and laid it on my bedside table, then got dressed. I put on pink socks and white converse. I was about to put the money in my pocket, then decided to count it first.

"Five hundred dollars?" I said to myself in amazement. Dewey meowed.

I put it in my pocket and went downstairs into the kitchen.

"You gave me five hundred dollars?" I asked my aunt, who was getting ready to leave.

"Well sure. I trust you with it." She said. "Anyway, I'm off to town. The girls got on the bus a few minutes ago, so you'll be the only one here. That ok?"

"Yeah. I'm planning on heading into town to explore, so I'll be fine." I said.

"Alright, well, have fun and be safe. See you later." Aunt CC said, then left.

I went upstairs and put my phone in my pocket with the money Aunt CC gave me.

"See ya later, Dewey." I told him, petting the soft fur on his head. He meowed in response.

I locked the front door after I went out. I walked down a couple blocks, just looking around the town. It had a friendly feel to it, and people were out walking dogs, mowing yards, and waving to each other on the streets.

I decided to stop in a corner bookstore, not stopping to read the name.

"Well, hey sugar! Fancy seeing you here!"

I turned to the left to see who spoke.

"Ms. Odom!" I said, and walked over to her. She stood behind a counter, and it had an old looking cash register. "You work here?"

"I own the place." She said. "Why else do you think it's called Babs' Books?"

I felt kind of silly, but luckily she didn't say anything else about it.

"And you don't have to call me Ms. Odom, hon, you can call me Babs. Ms. Odom is too formal for friends to use." She said with a wink.

I smiled. "Alright, Babs."

"So, would ya like to buy any books?" Babs asked.

"Not right now, but I'll definitely stop in again. I'm touring the town since I'll be living here for a while." I said.

"Well, be safe. And remember, you're always welcome here." Babs said.

"Thank you, Babs." I said. "See you later."

I walked back toward the house then walked some the oppisite way. After a few minutes, I saw a sign for Snowy Ridge Stables and under it it read We offer riding lessons for all ages!

This could be fun, I thought. I'd never ridden a horse, but now was as good of a time as any to begin.

I walked down the short dirt road that went along one side of a pasture. I looked in the field and saw a beautiful brown horse with a mane and tail that started at the top as dark brown, then faded down into black looking at me. It had a star on its face and each of its legs faded into black a little below its knees, which almost blended completely in with its black hooves. I reached the barn and found it was a busy place. Riding instructors giving directions to students and stable hands walking to and from different places, completing the daily chores. I knew this was the place I needed to be. I wasn't sure why, because I've never been super interested I horses. But, now, after seeing that brown horse, I knew this is what I was meant to do.