Chapter Seven (Edited)

ENGLISH CLASS, 9AM (DAY 2)

     Marinette was hardly able to concentrate in class. Even as the class tested, even as class assignments were given, even as lunch came about, Marinette was hardly able to have a stray thought that didn't involve the events of last night. Between the Constructor, the absence of Chat and the werecat, to say Marinette's head was filled was an understatement. She thought so hard her head was beginning to hurt.

    "Uh, Marinette?" Alya asked her friend, putting down the sandwich she was previously eating on her lap. Marinette's strange silence was beginning to irk her. Even for the shy aspiring fashion designer, Marinette was oddly silent and she barely spoke, even to her own best friend. Alya nudged her half-heartedly. "Hey, girl. What's wrong?"

     Marinette glanced to her friend once with an odd expression before looking back at the desk with a sigh. Apparently Alya wasn't the only one who noticed Marinette's uncharacteristic silence, because Adrien turned around in his seat to look at the girl.

    "Hey, Marionette. What's wrong?" he asked kindly. Gabriel had paid off the expenses of Kim's broken nose and managed to mooch the school into not suspending his son. Of course Adrien is grounded as a result but nobody dared to complain. Alya actually thought he was quite lucky for being so rich.

    "Yeah, you've been sighing a lot lately," Nino added. All eyes were trained on her, and Marinette cringed under their gazes. Adrien's especially.

    "Well, I, uh," she stammered, quickly thinking of a lie to tell. "I was, uh, thinking about the akuma attack yesterday. You know, Ladybug had to take on an akuma all by herself."

     Adrien blanched, but nobody besides Marinette seemed to notice. "Oh yeah!" Alya crowed, and reached into her purse. She retrieved her phone and opened up a few tabs. 

    "Wait what happened?" Nino asked. Alya gave him a incredulous look. "What? I have better things to do than obsess over every akuma attack."

    "Well, last night wasn't just an ordinary akuma attack. The wildcat showed up again last night, and apparently it defeated an akuma within seconds!"

    "Wait, really?"

    "Yeah! I mean, could you believe that?"

    "Huh, maybe this wildcat isn't so bad after all."

    "Oh no it is. According so some security footage from McDonalds, it almost attacked Ladybug." Marinette sunk her head deeper into her arms, completely missing the look of complete and utter terror adorning Adrien's face.

    "Ha! I find that hard to believe, Chat Noir would give his life in a heartbeat for Ladybug."

    "Really? Then could you explain to me why Chat Noir didn't even show up to help?"

     Adrien cleared his throat awkwardly. "Maybe something came up and he couldn't come?" he suggested somewhat anxiously. "Maybe he really wanted to help her, but he had his own problems to deal with?"

     Alya scoffed. "Seriously? Something more important than the fate of Ladybug and Paris?" she demanded, "Honestly I couldn't believe you're defending him. He has no reason not to be there."

    "But what if it wasn't his choice?" Adrien's voice was rising slowly but surely. "I'm sure he would have been there to help if he could, he does love Ladybug after all."

    "Love? Tch, I know they act all flirty with each other but do you seriously think he loves someone he doesn't even know? There's a mask between them, Adrien, just because they're partners doesn't mean they know each other."