11

It was late after you had gone to bed when Kayla woke up. Tears running down her face, she pulled herself from her bed. Silently she walked out of her room, briefly looking in your room. You were sound asleep, she didn't have the heart to wake you this time. Quietly she walked out of the apartment you shared.
She wandered into the common room, finding it quiet and empty. Kayla decided to try Bucky's warm milk he showed her how to make. It had helped the last time she couldn't sleep, she grabbed the pot on the bottom cupboard. She looked up at cupboard that the spices were in, slowly she climbed up on the counter, opening the door.
Kayla rummaged around till she found the cinnamon and the vanilla, knocking a couple spices out in the process. She winced as the bottled hit the counter and bounced to the floor. She paused for a moment, waiting to see if she heard anyone coming before lowering herself to the floor.
She picked up the items that had fallen to the floor and set them on the counter. She turned back and saw Bucky in the entry way to the common room. She had been caught, she bit her lip as a tremor coursed through her, remembering how her father would yell at her for sneaking into the kitchen late at night.
"Hey doll." His voice was soft, so soft. "What's the matter?"
She couldn't bring her eyes to meet his, she could hear him cross the room. Kneeling before her he placed a finger gently on the bottom of her chin, lifting her face to meet his. A slow tear slipped through her long lashes, his face was kind, kinder then anyone she had ever met besides her moms.
"Hey, now, no need to cry." He pulled her in for a tight hug.
"I had another nightmare, I was just going to make that milk you made." Her body shook as she choked back tears.
"Okay, sweetheart, lets make it and then will find something on the tv." He reassured her, gently rubbing her back for a bit. Once she had calmed down, Bucky stood and made her some warm milk.
Once finished he grabbed her hand and walked with her over to the couch. They both sat down as he turned it on, flipping through the channels till he found a kids movie. Kayla curled against him, sipping on the mug. Her little brows bunched up as a sad look course through her eyes.
"Kayla, you okay?" He asked, putting his arm over her back.
"Yeah, I was just thinking." She sniffled as another tear cascaded down. "I wish my own dad had been like this."
Bucky's heart broke at her words, the life that she had lived in her ten short years. It was nothing a child should of ever had gone through, altered or not. She placed her mug on the table and snuggled deep into his side, closing her eyes.
In that moment Bucky thought about all the things he missed out on. What his life should of been like, getting married. Having kids, having moments like this, things that Hydra had stolen him. Could he still have that life? Maybe even share a life like that with you and Kayla? Bucky tried not to get his hopes up, but a guy could wish.

You came out a couples hours later after the sun had risen, you had went looking for Kayla who wasn't asleep in her room. You found them asleep on the couch, Kayla snuggled deep into Bucky's side, his arm around her protectively. The two of them sleeping peacefully, you stayed in your spot watching them.
You smiled to yourself, walking over you pulled the throw off the back of the couch covering both of them up. You wished you had a camera, just to capture the innocence of the moment.
"Hey." A soft voice called, you looked over, it was Steve. You padded over to him, taking another look over at the two that were sleeping.
"Morning, Steve." You whispered, walking up to him.
"They're cute together." He whisper to you taking in the sight of Bucky and Kayla sleeping soundly.
"I've never seen her take so fast to anyone." You comment, Steve's face turned serious as he turned to look at you.
"Have you tried to find out who her actual father is?" He asked, you crossed your arms, rubbing them lightly.
"I wouldn't even know where to begin, I mean my ex, the organization he worked for. He had countless people he could of used." You responded, walking over to the kitchen. Steve followed you in and watched as you quietly put the spices back up.
"But if you could, would you want to know?" He whispered, gently picking up the dirty pot putting in the sink.
"A part of me would want to know, just to know but at the same time what good would it do? I doubt who ever they used would want to be a part of her life and even if they did, they would work for them, and that's the last thing she needs." You sigh, looking back over to the couch. Putting the pot of coffee on "You know what I mean?"
"Yeah, I get where your coming from." He replied looking back at the couch too. You heard the elevator ding, and people down the hall. You saw Bucky stir on the couch, he glanced over the back towards you. A sleepy smile on his face.