Chapter Fifty-Five: Clover, Part Three

After Leaf ended, Sear came and gone. By the time they were finished with mourning, Autumn had arrived. Yet the pain was freshly burnt on their skin. Nearly a thousand people were killed in The Janus's attack. The lost of their classmates were but a small blip on the radar. Yet, despite the destruction, no one outside of their small circle knew how close they were to the end of the world. At the behest of the king, the encounter with Moira was a secret the survivors of Class C carried.

And it was at the same bidding that Lua pushed the wheelchair up the slopes towards the castle.

Enneya said from the seat, "Are you sure you're fine? I can push myself, you know?"

"Nonsense," Lua replied with a grin, unconsciously looking down the blanket that covered Enneya's missing legs. "We're graduating. This might be the last time I get to wheel you around."

Her friend laughed. "Alright. You're the boss."

As they proceeded up the slight incline, Lua could not help but be in awe. While they had all lost friends – and herself, family – Enneya's injuries were so severe that to save her life, healers had to amputate everything from the knee down. Yet, the girl seemed unfazed by lost of her limps and lived on with a smile on her face.

They were allowed through the main gates by two burly looking guards who opened the way for them.

"Straight ahead," the female guard said to them. "Your friends are awaiting your arrival."

They nodded and walked on.

It was the first time either of them had step foot into the castle. Most of the structure was made of stone, and the floor from white and black streaked marble. The foyer was large, with high ceilings, oval walls, and balconies that protruded from the second floor. A trinity of chandeliers were held by ropes tied to pillars, bringing light into the room. While seemingly unfeasible as anything but a interior designer's dream build, Enneya explained as they crossed the room that the chandeliers were meant to be cut free in cast of a siege, and the balconies were archer nests. Lua nodded, noting how each balcony had a clear line of sight to the gate.

The size of her class had shrunk noticeably. In that time, she became closer to those who were left behind, something she did not do while her brother was alive. In a way, she hoped that those around her would fill the void left by her twin. While none had been able to stand in the empty space, they tried, and that was what mattered the most to her. She was sure her brother would not have wanted her to waste her time away mourning. And while the gap in her heart may never be filled, she was determined to live on.

On the far end of the foyer was another set of double doors. This time, smaller, yet more ornate, with linings of silver and door handles carved into the heads of bears. Just outside the doors stood familiar faces. Shichi and Shimona.

Shichi exclaimed, "Look who finally showed up!"

"I'm sorry," Enneya answered smugly. "I would have ran here if I knew you were waiting."

"Ouch," Shimona grimaced, leaning against her crutches. "Burn."

"I'm fine with that," he replied nonchalantly.

Lua asked, "What are we doing here, exactly? The messenger was pretty vague with the details."

Shimona answered, "I'm not sure about you guys, but the king gave me and Kingston apprenticeship with ambassadors."

Enneya and Lua looked at their friends in stunned surprised. Shichi continued, "I know. I was shocked as well. But apparently, since our injuries were garnered in line of duty, and it prevented us from graduation, we're getting something out of it."