Chapter Forty-Nine: Fluid, Part Three

Mir Scarletite Bel'Jarad was the last princess of the sand kingdom of Jarad. She had given up her heritage and throne to remodel the government away from autocracy. She also fought in the Second War of Gods and acted as a healer, a beacon of life to those suffering pain and death. She was also a lesser known singer, whose kindness seeped into souls from her carried tunes.

Four days after the end of the war and in midst of celebrations and reconstruction of Aleynonlia, she stood on stage beside Saix. The man played a long melody of lost and recuperation to which she lent her voice. Together, they were a force of nature, a wind swept tragedy post storm where the Twins shone brightly in the sky to share their warmth of the dying and the damned. The workers on the scaffolds paused with load on shoulders to listen. The crying stopped their tears to slack. The wind whistled through the city centre, crying with it the scent of the world.

Shimona stood within the crowd looking up to the stage and wondered how strong was the woman to give up family, power, and wealth, all to help lead five countries together through the darkest of times on shoulders that looked too frail to hold water, let alone the weight of the world. Her singing was bright but sombre, a sad light to guide the post-war in tumultuous time. As the music slowed to a death and the celebrations quietened with it, the world looked on solemnly to the former world leader for her words of wisdom. Wisdom from one too young to be carrying them.

"I'm sorry," Scarletite announced. "My father started this war, even if he did not know what he was getting the world into. Another desperate grasp for power by a man whom saw the legacy he was about to leave behind and wanted no less than to prolong the image of his divine status." The crowd was hushed, listening in rapture. She continued, "There are no destined rulers or prophesied heroes. Only what legends make of great people who stood for those that could not stand themselves. And as long as we are here, we'll continue to stand in the places that you can't. We'll fight the fights that you will lose. In return, I hope all of you will promise us one thing. Lead happy lives. Be brave. And whatever you do, don't ever stop caring."

*****

Water dripped onto Shimona's cheek, waking her to the drizzling rain and bright light of the sky. Her body felt stiff and she could feel the great weight of the world on her. It was not long before she got the idea that the weight might be literal.

"Morning," Shichi's voice cracked as he greeted.

She turned her head towards his voice and immediately was shocked back into their predicament.

Currents of electricity sparked off Shichi's body as his magic circuits glowed brightly on both his forearms. Standing in a backbreaking pose, he held the entire beam that supported what was left of the ceiling across his shoulders. Rainwater ran off the roof and was pouring around him as each arc of his electricity jumped from point to point. The building must have collapsed on her after she had pushed the man out of the way and he had ran in to act as a human pillar.

"Chi-chi... what?" Shimona could not get a question out.

Her friend's face was scrunched up, hiding what must be unbearable pain of holding up the literal weight of a building. "It's... no big deal," he nonchalantly replied with a heaved grin.

Shichi was reinforcing himself with his magic to hold up the structure and his body must be ripping apart from the power surging through him. If they did not get out of their predicament soon, his body could be irreparably damage from the prolonged enhancement.

"No. No no no..." Shimona panic, frantically trying to get up.

But she could not move either, and she slowly realised her lower half was pinned under a fallen piece of wall. She could not feel any pain in her legs and assumed it was fine, albeit trapped.