Chapter 7: Web of Secrets

Aiden's heart sank as the officers closed in on him, their expressions shifting from concerned to stern. He felt a rush of confusion and anger as they placed him in handcuffs. “What the hell is this?” he shouted, struggling against their grip. “I’m trying to find Isla!”

“Aiden Torres,” one of the officers said, his voice firm and unwavering. “You’re being apprehended for your own safety.”

“My safety? What are you talking about?” Aiden demanded, still reeling from the unexpected turn of events. “I just want to find Isla!”

As they escorted him away from the throng of reporters and onlookers, one officer leaned in closer, his tone dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. “Listen to me carefully, son. Isla Santos is extremely dangerous.”

Aiden froze, the words reverberating in his mind. “What? No, you don’t understand! She’s just a blogger! She’s not dangerous!”

The officer shook his head, a grave expression crossing his face. “You don’t know the full story. We’ve been investigating her for a while now. She’s not who she says she is. You need to come with us. It’s for your protection.”

Aiden’s thoughts raced, his confusion deepening. He felt like he was in a nightmare, caught between a desire to protect Isla and the sudden realization that there was much more to her story than he had ever imagined. “You’re lying! Isla is good! She helped me! She’s the only person who’s ever cared about me!”

As they reached the car, the officers forced him inside, securing him in the backseat. Aiden’s mind was spinning. How could Isla, the girl he had shared so much with in such a short time, be dangerous?

The officers exchanged looks, seemingly aware of the chaos of emotions swirling within him. One officer spoke as they drove, trying to maintain a sense of calm. “You need to understand, Aiden. We have reason to believe that Isla is involved in activities that pose a significant threat. It’s best you stay away from her.”

Aiden felt his heart race. “Activities? What kind of activities?” he asked, desperation creeping into his voice.

The officer hesitated, glancing at the road ahead before answering. “We’re not at liberty to disclose specifics. All I can tell you is that her presence is tied to some very serious matters that could endanger you and potentially the country.”

“Endanger me?” Aiden echoed incredulously. “What do you think I am? A pawn in some political game? I don’t care about your secrets! I care about Isla!”

“Your feelings for her could put you in danger,” the officer replied, his tone unyielding. “You don’t know what you’re getting into. We need to get you home and ensure your security. Your parents are concerned, and they want to keep you safe.”

As the car pulled into his family’s driveway, Aiden felt an overwhelming sense of helplessness wash over him. The large gates of the estate swung open, and he was ushered inside. Everything felt surreal, as if he had stepped into a different reality where Isla was the villain, and he was the captive.

His parents were waiting in the living room, their expressions a mixture of relief and anxiety. Aiden met their eyes, searching for understanding but only finding concern. “Mom! Dad! You don’t understand! Isla—”

“Enough!” his father cut in, raising a hand. “We’ve been worried sick about you. Do you have any idea what kind of trouble you’ve put yourself in?”