Chapter 14: A Sanctuary of Love

As she stood before the grave of her beloved family, the weight of grief settled heavily on her heart. The sun shone brightly, casting a golden glow over the cemetery, but its warmth felt distant compared to the ache of loss that lingered within her.

+Samuel Santos
+Elena Santos
+Bella Santos
+Mateo Santos

“I'm so sorry,” she whispered, kneeling before the headstone. The names etched into the stone were a constant reminder of the night that changed everything. Her heart ached for her parents and siblings, taken from her too soon. If only I could have protected you, she thought, tears spilling down her cheeks. If only I could have done something more.

Isla closed her eyes, allowing the memories to wash over her—the laughter of her family, the warmth of their love, the way they had made her feel safe. She longed for those days, wishing she could have been with them instead of standing alone in this imperfect world.

But now, as she placed her hand over her rounded belly, she felt a flicker of hope amid the sorrow. The baby growing inside her was a beacon of light in her darkest moments, a reason to keep going. With each passing day, she felt a deepening connection to this child—her daughter, the embodiment of love and resilience. You are my reason to live, Isla thought, her heart swelling with determination.

“I wish you were here to meet her,” she murmured to her family, feeling a bittersweet pang in her chest. “But I promise I’ll be strong for her. I will create a life worth living, even if it’s not perfect.”

Standing, Isla took a deep breath and brushed away her tears. The weight of her past still lingered, but she felt a new resolve taking root within her. She could not change what had happened, but she could honor their memory by embracing the life that was growing inside her.

Leaving the grave behind, Isla walked away with purpose. She still had her struggles ahead—her grief, her guilt, and the pain of being away from Aiden. But now, she had a reason to stay alive, to fight for a future that included her daughter.

The world may be imperfect, but it was still filled with possibilities. And Isla was determined to carve out a place for her child—a place where love could flourish and where their family could heal, even if it was in a different form.

---

After 5 Years....

The morning sun bathed the landscape in soft, golden light as Isla and her daughter walked hand in hand through the garden behind their coastal cabin. The air was cool, filled with the scent of wildflowers and sea breeze, as they approached a quiet, sacred space Isla had created in memory of her lost family. Nestled among the trees was a sanctuary—a place where peace reigned, where the memories of Isla’s parents and siblings could live on.

At the heart of the sanctuary, smooth, flat,  beautiful beach stones were carefully arranged in a small circle. Each stone had a name lovingly etched into its surface: Papa Samuel, Mama Elena, Mateo, Bella. Isla had spent hours carving their names into the stones, her hands trembling with emotion as she worked. The stones gleamed in the morning light, each a tribute to the family she had lost but would never forget.

Her daughter, though still young but full of curiosity, knelt beside one of the stones, her small fingers tracing the letters on it. "Mama, this one is for Lolo Samuel, right?" she asked softly, her bright eyes reflecting the sun.

Isla nodded, kneeling beside her daughter. "Yes, sweetheart. That’s Lolo Samuel’s name. He was a very kind and strong man."

The little one smiled, as if understanding the love her mother carried for her lost family. "And this one is for Lola Elena?"