Chapter 2 : Cardiac weakness

The following day, Penelope came back with a huge bell. This object, as quiet as a didgeridoo, woke up the poor Megan. Few minutes later, she was sweeping the sheepfold. She was on her own because Roger's wife had forbidden Zach to help her. She glimpsed the farmer who was drinking his coffee while he was looking at her empathically. During the lunch break, Roger saw that his employee wasn't as fulfilled as he expected. Suddenly, he had a wonderful idea:
"Megan! Why don't you come with me to feed sheep this afternoon?"
- Really? Are you sure? It would be amazing!
Penelope sighed, but she knew that she shouldn't annoy her husband.

According to the young woman, all the end of the day was gorgeous. Sheep were the second cutest animals that she had ever seen, just after the platypus. Their white wool were shining under the sun, and their bleats made Megan keen of them. She laughed with the farmer all the time. They started to like each other. Two hours later, Roger had to go to repair a paddock in the opposite side of the field, leaving Megan alone. Not knowing what to do, she saw at this moment Zach raking the ground. Deliberately ignoring the warning of Penelope, she helped him. They talked together all the time, since the arrival of Roger, who didn't seem to be happy. Smelling the troubles, Zach was hesitating to leave, when Penelope called to him.
"Well, I am so sorry. I have to go... See you later!" He apologized.
"See you!" Megan replied happily.
When he had gone, Roger asked calmly:
"What were you doing before I came?"
"I was helping Zach... Why that?"
A huge silence took place in the field.
"You know what my wife told you, don't you?"
"Yes, I'm sorry... I didn't know what to do, and I saw Zach working alone, so I thought he needed some help!"
"Personally, I don't mind if you work alone or with Zach, I even think it's better for both of you! But my wife is quite special and she takes care of things..." He began to explain.
Suddenly, Megan saw an eerie shape far away in the paddock. She squinted, staring at the shadow, and she recognised Penelope's corpse which looked dead in Zach's arms. The young woman fell down. Her heart was beating faster and faster. Roger's son didn't know what to do. As usual, they weren't used to save two women at the same time. Instead of calming down, Zach was screaming. But he eventually brought her to her bedroom. And he left the young woman on her bed.

She faintly opened her eyes few hours later. Next to her, Zach was sitting on the bed. He enquired:
"How are you feeling now? I was so worried!"
"What happened?" Megan asked.
"You don't remember, do you?"
"Fairly..."
"Well, you fainted, because you had a cardiac weakness."
"What an extraordinary surprise!" She exclaimed ironically.
"Actually, I've found Penelope, dead, in the field."
"Blimey! Yes, I remember. I... I saw a body with wide scratches and huge bloody stains everywhere on her clothes... But how did she die like that?"
"A wolf attack, I think."
"A wolf killed her? You are joking, aren't you? I don't think so, it is impossible!"
"Hum.... It is not very common but sometimes it can happen."
Although Megan nodded, she wasn't convinced at all.
"And what about Roger? He is advised, isn't he?
"Of course, he has dug a grave just after your fainting, and he's going to lock himself in his room. He isn't really emotive. Roger doesn't want to share his grief with some people that he doesn't know very well.
"What a pity! It is so sad for him! Hope he is going to get over this horrible event... How could I help your family now?" Megan asked worriedly.
"Rest yourself for the moment. You may be tired."
"Call to me if you need something."
Then she closed her eyes. Zach was leaving the room when the young woman fell asleep. She really wondered who killed Penelope because Zachary's voice was quite anxious when he talked to her.