Chapter 5: Doppelganger

Walking downstairs after recollecting myself,  I don't see the usual scene, instead of Damien, Marissa, and Connor all sitting at the table, I see a tall strange man I haven't seen before. I steadily move towards Marissa, " Who is this man?" I ask as he turns and smiles at me, " Oh, um... he's just my, er, my adult friend, I met him at the super market" She says slowly as though she were thinking of the right words, Marissa isn't good at lying "Oh, alright," I shrug off the feeling she's hiding something from me. I can't help but think I don't know Marissa as much as I thought I did. She's mysterious, smart, and different from the rest of us. I decide not to talk about last night, seeing Damien and Connor's bright smiles filling the dining room while eating their scrambled eggs and waffles that were over run with syrup, "Hey, Deborah, what's up?" Damien asks smugly, "I'm fine, what are you guys talking about?" I ask sitting at one of the dining room chairs, since I wasn't hungry, "Mmm we're talking about something, why do you wanna know?" Damien teases, " Well, because you guys were grinning like a pair of idiots, so I was just wondering," I reply giving back the same amount of sass, "Hey..." Connor whines as though he was offended by my comment, "It's something kind of between Connor and I," Damien says in a suddenly serious tone, "Mmmkay," I say and dismiss his slight hostility. I head back to the stairs and see the strange man hand Marissa a orange container, 'strange,' I think and head back up stairs into my room. I lay on my bed thinking about the voice I heard, until I fall into a deep sleep.

***

  I wake up in a distorted house; The stairs trailed up the wall to the ceiling, doors in random places, and appliances on the walls and floor of this strange place, "The weed said to the daisy, 'I long for your beauty,' to which the daisy replied, 'Well, I want to live as long as you, with this beauty, I am only to be picked and die, or die in the harsh weather, but you, can withstand it all,'" A voice said, 'I've heard this voice before,' I think. All of a sudden, I turn to my left a door has turned into a mirror, I steadily walk over to it, I hear the voice speak again, "I can tell you what you need to do for this to all go away, " It says, "Who're you?" I ask in a shaky voice looking around until it says, "Place your hand on your left ear, and then you'll figure it out," I do as it says, "When I speak, you talk as well, " It commands and I follow, "We are the same," we say in unison, my eyes widen. I don't know what to think, "Show yourself!" I yell out of fear and shock, my eyes then dart to the mirror, "Here I am," her voice was smooth as her hand gently touches the mirror from inside of it, " Like I said I can make this all go away, " she says, her eyes show color but if you look closely they're dark and drained from any sign  of humanity, "Y-you can?" I say finally giving in, "Yes, all you need to do is accept me, just say you accept me, and from there I'll guide you through what to do in everyday life," I see her grin behind the glass, "Alright, I accept you, please help me," I say. Just then, she steps out of the mirror, she walks behind me and covers my eyes with her hands as her face sits on my shoulder and she hangs on me slightly, "Two," she whispers in my ear and I wake up. My head is ringing, and I look to my side to read the clock, '1:22 pm' I think I get up to look at myself in the mirror, that's when I see her, sitting on my bed with a smug look on her face, "Finally woke up I see, I was kind of getting bored," she says almost mockingly, "What should I call you?" I ask ignoring her rude comment, "Since I'm you, how about 'Harobed?" she replies, "What is that supposed to mean?" I ask as I tilt my head, "I thought you were smarter than that," she mocks I only roll my eyes I turn around to face her, "Now that you're here let's just get along, 'kay?" I say and sigh lightly, " Mind if you show me around the house?" she says yawning in boredom, "Yeah, but won't they see you? What will they think?" I say softly surrendering to her request, " No, only you can see me. Though, they're probably going to think that you're going crazy, " she smirks, "With that settled, shall we go?" she says walking out the door, "I...guess," I whisper and follow her out the room.