Nowhere in Particular

Most people had horses or wagons to get them from one place to the next, but all Jamie had to rely on were his own two feet. He was an avid horseman, and he had ridden and trained more horses than he could count. But here, he had few things of value and none of them would give him enough for a horse.

He didn't have any real destination, so he simply took a step, and then another. Eventually he stumbled onto what he assumed to be a main road. It was evident that many people came through there, based on the abundance of hoofprints and footsteps. He hoped that if he followed it long enough, he would come across some sort of community.

It was already dark when he left the station, and there was no telling what sort of danger lingered in the brush in daylight, let alone the dark. He walked until he found shelter in a hollow tree just off the main road. It wasn't much, but it was dry and he was well hidden from prying eyes. He hoped that it would also be enough to protect him from anything lurking in the shadows.

He was no stranger to living outdoors, but that was a place he knew well. He knew nothing of this place apart from what he'd seen in the short time he'd been here. This was a world of all new fauna, people, customs, and traditions.

He pulled the tartan from his pack and wrapped himself in it. The highlander way of life had been wiped out long before he was born, but highlander he was. The wearing of kilts had been outlawed in Scotland, but this was a whole new place. The whole purpose of people coming here was to live freely and the way that they wanted.

Still, he didn't want to draw attention to himself, already a stranger in strange place.

"One day." He smiled as he ran his fingers across the fabric, remembering all those who he left behind.

He took solace in the night sky, small specks of light littered among the empty void. Proving that no matter what, there was light. That there would always be hope.

***

Black gave way gray, and the birds came to life in song, signaling the start of a new day.

The forest floor was shrouded in a heavy fog, reducing visibility to a minimum. Jamie would have to wait until it cleared just a bit before he resumed his journey.

But there was something there, barely visible.

He thought it must've been a squirrel making it's way from tree to tree, but the closer it came, the clearer it was.

It wasn't a thing, but a person. A woman.

She was dressed in a white garment that was hardly modest. Dark curls surrounded her head, as wild as the world around them. Her pale skin seemed to glow, just a bit. He couldn't make out her face, but he imagined it was just as perfect as the rest of her.

It looked as if she were dancing, blissfully unaware of her surroundings. Perhaps just happy to be alive.

And then just as quickly as she appeared, she vanished.

He rubbed his eyes and looked again, but there was nothing but the mist.

***

The fog had cleared, and once again Jamie was headed into an unknown future.

He couldn't help but think about the woman he saw in the early hours of the morning. Or if he had even seen her at all. Perhaps she had never even been there, and his mind made her up out of painful solitude.

What did it mean? Was it a sign? A vision? Or was being alone simply driving him mad?

Either way, she wasn't likely to leave his mind any time soon. He had no idea who she was or what she was, but by God she was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. His heart fluttered as his mind wandered back to the moment when he'd seen her.

He shook his head, laughing at himself. "Yer a fool, Fraser."

***

After what felt like days of walking, Jamie finally, finally, found paradise. A small tavern with a few outbuildings surrounding it. He received many sideways glances and looks of disgust, but he was so tired and hungry he didn't care.

"What can I get you?" Came a soft voice from behind the bar.

"Anything that's edible." He laughed, while searching his pack for the little money he had left.

When she returned with his meal, he was so focused on the food, he hadn't even looked up.

But after a few bites he finally glanced at the hand that fed him, and nearly choked as a result.

It was her.

That morning, he hadn't even seen her face. But he was sure it was her.

"Are you alright?" She asked, trying her best not to laugh at his ridiculous face.

"Fine." He choked out, along with wet eyes and a red face.

It hasn't even been ten minutes and ye've already made a fool of yerself.

She crossed her arms and smiled down as he took a swig of ale. "Good, It'd be a shame if you died without paying."

***

He had finished his supper long ago, and they were the only two who remained. She was everything he imagined her to be, and more. She was no ordinary woman, and with each passing minute, she only became more interesting. More beautiful. More perfect.

"So where are you headed?" She asked with her head propped in her hand.

"Nowhere in particular." He smiled as he gazed into deep amber eyes, losing himself in them. "To be honest, I haven't any place to go."

She frowned and paused, deciding whether or not to speak her mind.

"Well, I have an extra room upstairs. You're welcome to stay there until you figure it out." She hardly knew the man. He had come out of nowhere, resembling the lowliest of beggars. Yet there was something about him, something that drew her to him. He was handsome, and charming. There was no doubting that. But it was as if he didn't even know it. He was so kind and genuine, nowhere near the same as the other men that came through.

"I haven't anything to pay ye with!" He exclaimed, eyes wide. He never wanted to leave, but he wouldn't take advantage her like this.

"Well I can't let you just sleep in the dirt, can I?" She smiled and turned to clear away the mess of her departed patrons.

"Aye, ye could. I could be a killer for all you know." He quipped.

"Are you?" Her voice was steady, confident.

"No..." He mumbled.

"Then there's nothing to worry about." She flashed him a smile and motioned for him to follow her once everything had been put away.

He clenched his jaw, bit his tongue, and did as he was bid.

She lead him to the back of the tavern, up some stairs and stopped outside a large door. The room was small, but it had a bed and a fireplace, which was more than Jamie could have asked for.

"You can stay here until you have a place."

He stood there, completely dumbfounded.

"I have nothing to give ye." He tried again, he didn't want to impose. He had nothing to pay her with, and she was willingly giving him food and board. And to a stranger at that.

"You will." She smirked, and turned to leave, but hesitated, glancing at him over her shoulder.

"What's your name?"

"James, but ye can call me Jamie."

"Goodnight, Jamie." She smiled, and then disappeared into the confines of her own room.

"Goodnight, Sassenach." He whispered into the empty darkness. He didn't even know her name.