Chapter 11: Reunited

As I’m walking through the school I see the other survivors walking around, taking care of their friends and families. I saw the man trying to take care of his wife but will not take her to the nurse’s office for better treatment. I try one more time but he just waves me away and I continue walking. I get to the gate and see about ten other people by the gate. I spot Lizy with a couple of other guys talking. I start walking to them when Lizy sees me and starts walking to me.

“Hey Shawn, glad you could make it.” She said.

“Yeah, so when is Scott going to be back?” I ask.

“He should be here in a couple minutes so we’re just going to wait here until he gets back. I heard that he found a lot of food and a couple of survivors.”

“That’s nice.”

“Sort of, if we keep finding all these people were going to be forced to relocate.”

“You really think so?”

“Yeah, a third of this school is filled with people.”

“I’m surprised this many people are still alive.”

“Me to, and John insists we stay here, but we did have a couple of people come rest a while. Then they would just leave. So the school is sometimes a rest stop.”

“Any idea where?”

“Some so called sanctuary in Hawaii.”

“Is there one there?”

“I don’t think so. There have been at least what fifty sanctuaries? It’s bullshit. Some asshole is saying there are these safe havens and people believe it and they end up getting killed as soon as they get there. There was this one time when there was a sanctuary at the blown up Statue of Liberty. I can’t even tell you on how many infected are there.”

“That’s ridiculous.”

“No kidding.”

“I see them!” Yelled the old man with the eye patch.

The gate opens and everyone moves out of the way.

“Hey what’s the old man’s name?”

“Oh him? His name is Guy.”

“Guy?”

“Uh huh.”

“Ah.”

A red truck drives into the school. Scott gets out the driver’s seat and I see a lot of blood on his shirt and a woman with a child in her arms coming out the passenger seat. As other survivors walk up to the truck and loading the bed full of supplies Lizy runs to Scott and hugs him.

“Where are the others?” Lizy asks.

“They didn’t make it.” Scott said.

Lizy started crying in his shoulder. It surprises me how much she cries. I walk up to them.

“Hey Shawn can you take…” Scott said waving the women closer to us.

“Sarah.” The women said.

This girl seems very familiar.

“Shawn, can you take Sarah to the nurse’s office? Her child is sick.” Scott said.

“Yeah will do. Come on follow me.”

The girl makes this face at me as if something was wrong.

As we are walking through the hallways of the school I ask her what the kid’s name was.

“His name is Jack.” She says.