Chapter Seven

Ascanius' POV

"So... You're both demons. As in the hellish, Satanic, creepy, creatures that Christian mums on facebook warn us about."

"If you scream, I swear I will tear off your tongue and mail it to your brother."

"Calm it," I chide Vanitas as he snaps at the frightened boy before us.

Saucer-like silver eyes staring at us in shock and awe. The boy sports blonde hair that frames his face. Candlelight illuminates his pale skin. His slim figure is clothed in a baggy white shirt and warm pants. It doesn't appear like he has slept well for the past few days considering his dishevelled hair, dark circles and his trembling figure. Sweat now stains his shirt.

He sits in the centre of a pentagram in the form of Lilith's sigil, candles surrounding the outer circle. The markings glow a vivid gold that cuts through the darkness of our surroundings. Blood from slit palms streams onto the pentagram. There is no scissor outline on his neck. He isn't a client. He must be seeking to be.

Legs quaking, he stands up, blinking rapidly to check if this is real.

"We are here in Lilith's stead," I respond coldly in hopes that would intimidate him enough to reconsider making a bargain with Lilith, but not enough he will wet himself like Vanitas seems to be set out to do.

Vanitas gives the boy a disgusted once overlook before examining the area. Not that we could figure out where we are from just being in here. We are somewhere in closed, perhaps in some man-made cave or sewer judging from the concrete walls.

"Um, ok. Well, I'm Beau-"

"Keep your name. Names have a lot of power, imbecile. At least use an alias," Vanitas hisses with impatience.

I'm still not sure why he is here.

"Oh, ok... I never thought this would work," he mutters after a long stretch of silence.

"Ughh, what do you want? I have a nail appointment to get to," Vanitas groans, turning to me, "Are all your clients this slow?"

I give him a deadpan look. Beau rubs his hands nervously and steps forward.

"I-I don't suppose you know an 'Invidian' do you?"

That catches both of our attention. Vanitas takes a menacing step towards him, making Beau flinch back. I catch him before he can get close enough.

"How do you know him?" I ask.

"The man with orange eyes told me he was the demon who had been possessing Virgil. I should have known Virgil was. He was acting really fucking weird for an entire week then he went back to normal. He doesn't remember any of the conversations we had either. It was too weird. I'm hundred percent sure he was possessed."

Vanitas and I exchange looks. So, Adam has taken an interest in him too.

"The man who told you is very dangerous, child. What was this man doing talking to you?" I question.

Beau twiddles his thumbs together nervously.

"I was hanging around the forest clearing my head and he happened to be there. He was asking odd questions like; when is it ok to forgive and forget someone? What is the line between forgiveness and ignoring the past? I think he was talking about my brother and I. My brother, Cassiel, is a psychotic piece of crap and I would never have known about that if it wasn't for Invidian exposing him. Cassiel has been in solitary confinement since," he continues with a thoughtful frown, eyes staring hard at the ground.