Chapter Fourteen

Ascanius' POV

"Hola! What are you calling about, ruby-eyes?"

"Ruby-eyes?" I ask with a raised brow, holding my replacement phone to my ear.

I wander through the Veil, the scene black and white as usual. I walk past the beach side on the way to Calder's house, trying to recall what happened while I was drunk.

"Because your eyes look like rubies. Wow, your voice sounds stern, like a man on a mission," Gavreel responds in a bubbly voice that makes me smile.

It's quite refreshing to hear someone sound so carefree. If we were on the same side, I could imagine us becoming friends.

"I used to know Sen... he possesses the firstborns of the Evanderous family. May I ask if he possesses Cassiel yet?"

The deal between the Evanderous family and the Sen angel should allow him to possess every first-born child. From what Invidian told me, he hasn't. Cassiel Evanderous, the eldest of the family, sounds like he was in control of his actions.

"I believe he should. He's not in Heaven. We would know if he was. He tends to give us all cookies when he comes home."

I grimace, remembering his sadistic smile fist time I saw him after he commanded my father to be executed. That does not sound like a man who gives out cookies without there being at least a dash of poison.

"Are there any guardian angels watching over Beau Evanderous?"

"No, Sen is in complete control of the domain. He employs certain angels to watch over the town. No guardian angels are required there."

"I understand."

So, because he is a higher-level angel, he has full control over areas he has power over. That explains a lot. None of the empathetic angels would even have a chance to figure out his sadistic ways. Perhaps it is the angels to regularly work with mortals who feel the most for them. It would explain Gavreel's sympathy for Dayo.

"Why do you ask? I'm sorry, but I will have to report this conversation to the higher-ups... unless there is a reason I shouldn't."

"I was in the area before. The spirits in the aqueducts... they claim that he is becoming more corrupt. That he is the one who kidnapped the Norn," I bend the truth a little.

"What?!" she shouts in alarm before dropping her voice to a whisper, "What you suggest is beyond testing to believe. Why would he do that? He is so kind to everyone. That would be blasphemy. It would be against Father's will."

It sounds like he has fooled everyone in Heaven to believe he is innocent and loving. It is beyond me how he managed that with the blood on his hands.

"He isn't as peaceful as you think he is."

"... Ok... You must understand that I can't take your word at face value. But, you can prove it to me. Take me to the spirits you speak of. I should be able to communicate with them. How about I meet you in the aqueducts under GoldVine? Appear anywhere and I should be able to sense you and meet you there."

"I..." I don't want to go back to the town, but I will sound like a liar if I don't go through with this.

"Ok, when?"

"The human I am watching over should be asleep soon so meet me in the aqueducts in two hours."

"Thank you... but may I ask why you believe me this much? Angels I know would have called me a liar and try to skewer me."