Chapter Sixteen

Ascanius' POV

I wake up after five hours of sleep, not three like I bargained with Calder. At least I am well rested this time. While the dream was emotionally draining, it didn't leave me physically exhausted. I climb out of bed, taking a shower then changing. I dress in all; a long-sleeved shirt, cargo pants, and shoes I don't mind getting wrecked.

I find Calder in my basement, sitting on the floor with a book in his hand and Poe on his shoulder, grooming his hair.

"Invidian wasn't kidding when he said you have a hoarding problem," he says as I enter, shutting the door behind me.

I fold my arms and give him a pointed stare.

"You were meant to wake me up after three hours."

"Really? I swore I said five," he replies with a mischievous smirk. He then averts the attention to my hidey hole. "You keep a lot of things."

I scan my basement, disagreeing with his statement. I only have a bookshelf holding books and miscellaneous objects, a pool table in the corner, posters of singers and bands since the early 1900s, and stuffed animals in the corners along with a record player. There would be way more items if some weren't destroyed during parties Lilu threw at my house.

"Yeah, I like collecting things throughout time. You never know what will change next. The rest are things I pick up to remind me of Lilith's clients."

Clapping his book shut, shoves it back on the bookshelf and gets up, causing Poe to become unbalanced and fly out the door. I notice the book is about the history of tattoos.

"Did you ever keep anything to remind you of me?"

My eyes grow wide at the question and my cheeks flush. How could he ask such an intimate question with such a straight face? I rub the back of my neck and clear my throat.

"I didn't need a reminder. There is no way I'd ever forget you," I mutter after a moment, averting my eyes to the shelves.

Silence hangs in the air like a humidity, until we hear a voice.

"Oh, I see why you got so defensive about him. You've been boning him on this side."

I snap my eyes to the doorway to see Vanitas observing us. Today Vanitas has gone with a pompous princely look with a loose, white shirt, black pants and boots. Gold stud earrings adorn his ears, thick gold necklace around his neck with matching cuffs on his arms.

"Have you heard of knocking on a goddamn door?"

"This makes four people I've made uncomfortable today. I'm getting sloppy."

I wipe a hand down my hand with a groan.

"This is Vanitas, my third eldest sibling," I grumble to Calder who furrows his brows.

"Aren't you Instagram famous?"

"Yup."

"So... you're a guy? Dammit, I had my bets on you being a chick."

I give Calder an odd expression, wondering who he made a deal with. I didn't think he followed Vanitas on Instagram, let along used a phone. Did he follow him knowing he is my brother?

He arches a regal brow at Calder curls his lip in contempt.

"Knowing my gender doesn't help your insignificance, worm," he drawls, making Calder give him a disgusted look. Vanitas nods at me. "We need to talk."