Chapter 3

Bzzzt!

My body jolted when I woke up. I grabbed my phone from nearby and checked the time: 4 AM. Why the heck would anyone send me anything at this time of day?

I opened up my messages and saw a text:

Meet me tomorrow at the park

-Miku ;3

I groaned. Why was this happening? I couldn't possibly turn down Rin. But at the same time, if I did go, she might catch me with Miku. But if they each caught me with the other...

I just hatched up a brilliant plan.

But something else was very wrong with this. How did Miku get my number?

.
.
.

I got to the park first, it seemed. Neither Miku nor Rin were there, so I plopped down at table, picking off flower petals and tossing them into the fountain, mulling over my conflicted love life.

"Oh, Lenny! You actually came!" a voice shouted.

I turned around just in time to see Miku in a yellow and white sundress. She took a seat next to me on the bench.

"So, uh," I stammered nervously. "What's all this about?"

"Oh, you know what it is, Lenny."

"No, I don't."

"You have eyes for me."

"What?!" I exclaimed, stiffening up.

"But don't worry. I like you too," Miku whispered. "You were staring at me yesterday. I bet you were jealous."

"Y-yeah, I admit I kinda was jealous of—"

"So it's settled then! You and I are official now!" Miku cried.

"Wait a second, slow down! I have several questions for you first."

She listened intently, her puzzled blue eyes fixed on me.

"First of all, what about your boyfriend? Y-you're already with Kaito," I said, a warm, red blush spreading across my face.

Miku scoffed. "Do you seriously think I'd be in love with that muffler freak, ice cream-loving buffoon? Plus, wanna know his big secret? He's a pathetic closet otaku."

"Don't say that! I'm sure he's a good person..."

"Lenny, you don't have to kiss his ass to be with me. I already want you..." Her eyes were starting to look more and more deranged and I backed away but she only inched closer and closer.

"Let's move on to the next question, shall we? Okay, how did you get my phone number?"

"I constantly hunt out your personal information! I know you like the color yellow! See? I wore this white and yellow dress for you today! I was going to dye my hair yellow earlier but I wanted to see you right away!"

"No, please don't do that," I said.

"I also know you like bananas! I brought one today so we could share it!" She grabbed a banana from her bag. "Here, you eat one end and I'll eat the other!"

She shoved the banana into my face.

"No, Miku, please!" I pleaded.

"LEN, WHAT THE HELL?!" a familiar voice shouted.

Rin came stomping over to us also in a yellow sundress and Miku immediately hugged me.

"Rin, I swear, it's not what it looks like!" I said, although I knew it wouldn't help.

"Oh, it is what it looks like, Kagamine," Miku said tightening her embrace.

"I'm sorry, Miku, I don't love you," I said. "No offense, but you must be a very rotten girl to be that obsessed with me."

"Then who do you love, Len?!" Rin demanded.

"I don't—"

"Hmph! It's because you're still in love with that Kagamine girl, isn't it?" Miku asked, crossing her arms in disappointment.

"Well, n-"

"Because I can take care of that!" she said, suddenly charging towards Rin with a large sharp knife.

What in the world was going on? Everything was happening all at once. This wasn't how I pictured the day would go.

Even though my feelings for her had died out, Rin still had a special place in my heart and I had sworn to myself that even if the whole world turned against her, I would protect her, to keep her smiling all the time.

So I did what was necessary.

The last thing I remembered was a sharp slash on my chest and the color crimson spilling out.

Everything else got lost in the white light.