Chapter Three

Sweat beamed down my face as I stood in the backyard of Kohen's parents house. The backyard was filled with kid laughter and adult conversations. It was a mixture of white and black people and the vibe felt right.

"You enjoying yourself." Kohen asked looking down at me.

I had sat down in a chair because I was tired of standing in this heat. I hadn't really socialize with any of her family so I didn't know anybody to sit down and talk with. Kohen has been walking off to help out or to greet her family. 

"I'm straight."

"Come here." She demanded grabbing my hand.

I complained about it being too hot but she ignored me. I followed her into a cool
house with the AC on blast. I instantly got a little cold from the breeze hitting my sweat.

The house was red, black, and grey themed. It was so neatly organized. The kitchen was filled with food that hadn't been set outside yet. There was a woman and a man arguing in kitchen about cheating.

"Evan, I said I was sorry what more do you want me to say? It was only one time. " She cried wiping tears from her eyes.

"Sorry doesn't fix it, Elaina. How am I supposed to explain to my mom that the baby might not be mine? You didn't think about that, huh?" He semi yelled.

"Of course I did. I love your family like their my own and I know this is going to hurt your mom. I..." She trailed off as she looked up and seen Me and Kohen.

Evan turned around. His face turned red with embarrassment and he looked like his eyes were watering. He just walked off to a room in the back of the house.

"Kohen please don't say anything to your family yet." She fixed her face and wiped it with a paper towel. She had a pudge and you could tell she was pregnant but not that far along.

Kohen through her hands back signaling she wasn't in it. She always tried to remain neutral and stayed out of drama.

"Elaina, this is a friend of mine. Ahnya, this is my brother's wife."

Elaina moved towards me with an extended hand. I shook her hand and gave a slight hug. By the look on her face you could tell she was just as embarrassed as Evan.

Evan returned with a young boy walking beside him. He looked just like Evan. You could tell that it was his son. The boy wiped his eyes and yawned like he had just woke up.

"Wassup Auntie, Who's this fine honey?" He greeted Kohen. He was about 10. She laughed at him and playfully put wrapped her arm around his neck.

"Elijah what I done told about hitting on my company? Don't nobody want you scrub."

They started play fighting a little bit. Then an older woman walked into the house from the backyard. She was heavy set with a blonde bob and blue eyes.

"I know y'all not playing in my damn house. Y'all better take ya asses outside with that." She yelled.

"Come on now ma, Don't act like that." Kohen said walking to her mom and kissing her on the cheek.

"Oh shut up, Kohen and who is this girl in my kitchen?" She questioned making me shift uncomfortably.

She didn't look mean but meeting her in person made me anxious. She gave an inviting smile. You could tell she loved people and she was a nice woman.

"My name is Ahnya. I came with Kohen."

"Oh okay. Well nice to meet you. I'm Sarah. And you don't have to be scared around me. Loosen up."