FIFTEEN

"it's okay."
chapter fifteen — crash and burn

As tensions rose and expectations rose higher, the students of Riverdale High anxiously awaited the arrival of the Serpents of Southside High

As tensions rose and expectations rose higher, the students of Riverdale High anxiously awaited the arrival of the Serpents of Southside High. You could reason that they were probably overreacting, but you'd probably be shut down immediately by the gossip hounds that so often craved big events. The two schools coming together was as big as it gets. Many came bearing cameras, for some sick, twisted reason, but instead Debbie bore a list of extracurriculars with her notepad tucked safely in her pocket. Just in case an altercation occurred, of course, since everything in this damned high school needed even more drama.

Home life wasn't so peachy either, having had to hear from Betty that Polly had given birth. Polly and Debbie had never been that close, to start, but it still stung that she only knew about the twins' birth from Betty. Not to mention, the twins sounded like a cult named them, which probably wouldn't be too surprising considering the fact that the farm was secretive and suspicious.

Veronica fiddled with the organization of the desk, Archie casually leaned against the wall for the arrival, while Kevin was live-tweeting his reaction. Debbie for sure had to check that out later, but for now settled on editing her piece for the Blue and Gold. Oddly enough though, not a lot of students were awaiting the Serpents. Shrugging off that thought, she continued writing. That would soon be cut short, however, when she heard the tell-tale sound of motorcycles rumbling.

Murmurs and whispers began getting louder as the footsteps approached the entrance, and without fail, Jughead opened the doors to the school, accompanied by the former students of Southside High. Debbie raised an eyebrow, but kept her mouth shut, a rare occasion.

They pulled up to the registration desk, and from the looks of it, they seemed appeased. For now, anyway. She highly doubted the feeling would last long. Instinctively, though, she caught Sweet Pea's eye, who sent her a wink which she returned with a smirk, as if to say, "welcome, but not really."

He raised an eyebrow, and Debbie's smirk turned into a smile.

Their past meeting really made her reconsider many things, but she kept her guard up now more than ever. His words had other ideas though, popping up in her head ever so often, much like her Aunt Alice, who hounded her in the morning.

Hal had shrieked (he actually did, it was loud enough to wake the Andrews' next door) when he heard that Debbie was helping out with helping the Southside students get acquainted with the school. And for once, Alice wasn't the one being overdramatic! Debbie mostly tuned him out, thank god. Lately, Hal had become more and more insufferable. It was a wonder why Alice hadn't jumped ship and sailed away with FP (mhm, you bet your ass she knew what was going on with them two.)

Tapping her fingers on the hardwood table, she sent a small smile to the new students. Veronica would probably behead her if anything other than a smile brighter than Venus wasn't adorned on her carefully calculated expression. Speaking of Veronica...