Chapter Two

"Sleeves!"

A dominating voice pounded through the hall, directed towards the lazily dressed Mr Small. Who knew that he and Mr Domino had a secret hatred for each other?

"Ayeayeaye I'm doing it now, Jon." Small rolled his eyes dramatically, throwing me a grin as he pushed his sleeves down on his blazer. "Looking lush Charlotte! Fancy a go in the toil--"

"No, Gerald," I sternly redirected the conversation, "I told you, that was a mistake. Never again!" I gritted my teeth.

"Reet man," Gerald's geordie accent was thick as he took in my rejection, "but I wonder what your mates would say..." He trailed off into thought, wondering if he could get any of my friends to go canoodle with him in the toilets now that I was unavailable.

I shook my head, barely containing my laughter. Slowly I departed from his presence, looking for my small group of friends in this huge crowd.

I stumbled over towards what I thought was our table (I had already consumed 3 Koppabergs at this point) and sat down gleefully, awaiting my friends' return, but also... His.

My sun, my moon. My everlasting gobstopper. My heart, my lungs, my oxygen, my--

"Charlotte, when you're done drooling over that boy of yours, do you think you could help me pull one of your mates?"

Gerald. Ugh. Would he ever leave me alone? I had to set up one of my friends with him.

"Yes, whatever hun, they're over there somewhere," I waved a hand in the direction of the dancefloor, where I could see Bethany's raven hair swishing and Paris' petticoats twirling. "Just take on of them, I'm busy."

And busy I was.

It was halfway through the night... And...

He wasn't there.