Chapter Four

The air was becoming thick with testosterone and cheap perfume. Sweat-tainted bodies clung together in rapid motions, claiming it was "dancing". Dancing- ha! More like glorified soft-core porn!

I was becoming impatient, my leg jumping up and down underneath the cheap table. My friends were now occupied with their captures of the night, leaving me stranded and alone as I clung to the hopes of my date actually arriving.

Mr Lachowski and Paris were standing in a corner, giggling. A former male model, the Brazilian teacher had shown quite an interest in my little hun this evening, much to her surprise and delight; he held her small hand in his own huge one, giving her small foreign kisses on the cheeks as they flirted mercilessly. And Bethany had truly gotten lucky with Mr Chang-- the sexual tension between the two of those had been too much to handle this year. Every time his Rudolph-like nose strode past her, she got week at the knees and her eyes fluttered. We all knew that she had a little thing for him, even if she was too embarrassed to admit it.

Emily, however, was playing it safe and had decided against pursuing a teacher this evening and had instead went after her long time crush, Arnold. With his floppy brown hair and aftershave-swathed body, it was difficult for her to deny his advances. I was so pleased for her, but jealous of her also as she had finally achieved her romantic dream and I was still waiting for mine to turn up.

But, just then, as the thought travelled into my brain...

A screech of motorbike wheels. An engine being cut off.

I scrambled out of my seat, rushing towards the entrance of Prom. Scanning the crowds outside the heated hall, a quickly spotted an almost-black mop of unruly hair, styled dryly over a pair of gleaming, yet soulless eyes.

It was Him. Finally Him. Our eyes locked amongst the crowd as he swam through the people to reach me.

"FUCK! SHIT!" His familiar scream echoed throughout the surrounding area. "IT FEELS LIKE THE ROOF IS ON FIRE!"

I smiled widely at his little joke, and my knees almost gave way at the sound of his vocal talent. It was pretty hot in the hall, but all that mattered was:

He was here. And He was all mine.