Chapter Eight

Three months later...

Has it been three months already? Well, we've marked it on the calendar as such. The snow slowing down the Morts outside puts everyone in a better mood, and it creates a pretty scene.

If you're wondering, no, Nova hasn't gotten any better. Maybe the opposite. She hasn't really changed at all, in fact, other than the fact that she is moving a little bit in her coma, sometimes mumbling things, but otherwise, she isn't any better or worse. What has changed, though, is that Jim, one of the newcomers, or now we call him our people, and Grace, one of my former classmates, but now fellow survivor, have volunteered to watch Freddie and I as we do medical things so that they know what to do and we can take shorter shifts.

That lead to Freddie and I leading a medical type class in the lobby. Rebecca, Ellie, Grace, Jim, and Bryce all showed up, and have been doing 'lessons' the last four... maybe five, weeks. It's pretty crazy how fast Bella healed. I helped her with some physical therapy to help her leg to make sure it was good enough to go on, but she was fine in a week after we started. My ten original companions, aside from Freddie, have all went on the search for their families, and came up with nothing, so the reception area on our floor is the memorial wall. Both my parents are up there, along with a few other family members that I was close to that I could never reach.

After doing inventory for the week, I meet with the other 'leaders' of our group of nineteen. Yes, I am not the solo leader anymore, but that makes me happy. Not that I didn't like it, it's just that I honestly just want what's best for the group. Diane is in charge of food and cooking, Tucker is in charge of security, I am in charge of medics, and Jim is in charge of weaponry. It's my week to do inventory of everything, but I've got some bad news.

"Alright guys, we're running low on food, we need to start lengthening rations, and go out on more supply runs. Also, ammo is low, and so is the stuff we put in Nova's IV fluid to make sure that it goes to all parts of her, keeping her both hydrated and fed. It's not exactly medication, but it's electrolytes, and we're running low. Plus, the medicine we give her to keep her brain activated until it is able to work properly and she wakes up. We also have to get more oxygen for the tank we have to occasionally give her," I say and they look at me, as if they want to say something but can't find the right words.

"We can go on more supply runs to get ammo and food, but that is a lot of stuff for Nova, if she doesn't wake up soon, we can't keep wasting resources on someone who isn't going to make it in life," Jim says slowly, trying to make it so that I have more time to think, but my brain whirs into motion as he says it.

"So what else would we use all of those for? Someone else who's in a coma that you're actually willing to help with? If Nova doesn't wake up soon, then we hold out hope until she dies, cause we are not killing someone who isn't a Mort unless they try to kill us first, and Nova is useful, if she lives, she can aid in the camp," I argue and he looks away.

"Her having to use all those materials that could come in useful later will kill us, Nash, we might have to-" Diane starts but I cut her off with a glare.

"Give her two weeks, if she doesn't wake up then, I'll take her with me and leave, I'll survive on my own if I have to, using all of those materials that I will find," I demand and storm away, into the room I share with my sister.

My sister. Of course I couldn't just leave her here, especially after we lo- lost... but I definitely can't take her with me, surviving by myself with a girl in a coma... Oh God, what do I do? I might be forced to choose between saving Nova and staying with my sister. My sister is who I'll obviously choose, but my consciousness will be haunted with guilt...

I strap myself to the stretcher so I don't fall off in my sleep, sighing tiredly. Then, I pull my blanket to my chin and close my eyes, thinking, mind swirling before I fall asleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

My sister laughs as she jumps around. She and I are busy playing in the sprinkler, and don't notice my mother running past us to the street. I keep my sister distracted so she doesn't lose her focus on me, for I want to keep playing. It's her second birthday, and I want it to be a good one. My friends tease me for being nine and playing with my baby sister over them, but I ignore their taunts, and still do it anyways.

Suddenly, I trip and fall and something hard hits my head. Next thing I know, my mother is standing, frantically pointing behind her, to the house across the street. I sit up and look at it, gasping to find it engulfed in flames. I hear screams coming from inside the house, and I try to run over to it, but trip in the street and am pulled back by my mother. We're visiting my grandmother's, and my friend lives in that house!

Screaming, I fight myself out of her grip, but I know it's too late. The screams have stopped and I couldn't help... I couldn't help... I am so useless... I scream and cry at the same time, muffled by my mother's embrace, but still loud... she holds me tight and says soft things to try to calm me down, but my heart is still aching, my head still throbbing, and me, unable to help my friend...