Chapter Fourteen

My breath is cold in my throat as I turn to look at the man who is apparently about to die, and then look back to the man who is apparently about to kill. My mother couldn't have ordered the death of someone. It's just not her...

"You're lying," I breathe and glare at him. "Don't kill him... at least... not until I go and- ah!"

I clench my side and look away, blinking away hot tears of pain.

"You are injured, and this man is dangerous, so it would probably not be in your best interest to go and speak with him," he says and I sigh, looking up at him.

"Don't pretend that you care what happens to me. Wait here," I order and he sighs tiredly, but nods, obviously begrudgingly.

"Whatever," he growls and I put on a small, weak smile.

I make my way into the room and to the man's bedside. He looks up at me angrily, but his face softens upon seeing my look. A teenage girl with a polite face, clutching her side that's oozing blood might not make the most threatening vibes be sent.

"Who are you?" he demands calmly.

"I'm Nashlie, your leader's oldest daughter. I've come in here to talk to you about my mother... and to try to save your life. That man out there says he is ordered to kill you, but I told him to wait until I've spoken to you," I say and he gives me a cruel-looking smile.

"Ah, the heir to the throne, eh? Going to be leader next? You'd be lucky to lead the New World, it must be an honor," he says passive-aggressively.

"That's actually what I came in here to talk with you about. My mother... she created this... virus or whatever it is?" I question and he smiles.

"That is correct, princess," he says, his voice raspy and hoarse.

"What did you do to deserve..." I glance at the man waiting at the door, "this?"

"I tried to steal a gun and escape. Not everything is as perfect as your mother wants it to seem," he replies, smiling almost evilly at me.

"Listen, I will get you a gun and a way out of here... safely... if you will give me some information on whatever is going on here," I say and he laughs, glances at the door, then back to me.

"So the princess is committing treason," he jokes and his face darkens. "What do you need to know about this place?"

"What has my mother done? What has she done to become leader? To become whatever it is that she is now?" I ask, voice low to avoid raising suspicion from the man at the door.

"Murdered innocent families... children, all by herself, dozens, and even more with the help of her... army. Anyone who got in her way. Who got in the way of the New World and its plans. I tried to steal a gun and escape to gather my own to come and help bring this place down, but she caught me in the act and shot me. Put me here to be healed to try to persuade me that she'd let me live if she could get me to talk about who my associates were. I disagreed to her 'terms', and lo and behold, your little guardian angel is here to kill me," he answers and I feel the color drain from my face.

"You'll come back with more people? To help bring her-" I pause, chocking back a sob. I don't want to bring my mother down, obviously. I just got her back. But if she's done everything this man's said she's done, she needs to be stopped. I look away for a moment before continuing my sentence. "To help bring her down?"

"That's correct, princess. Get me a safe way out for tomorrow, and a gun with at least two extra rounds of ammo, I'll be in your debt," he says and I frown, looking away.

"What if she catches me? Will she kill me?" I ask and he swallows.

"Knowing her? Maybe, which is why you don't get caught. I will be back in two to three weeks, make it that long, and we'll take her and her people down, without breaking the safety of this area. You'll be safe, too, princess," he says and I frown sadly.

"On one condition, sir," I speak quietly and look him dead in the eyes.

"I want to be the one to take her down."