Chapter 18

It's a piggyback.

    I'm glad it is. If there were any other options rather than just this or the bridal style, I would have chosen the other. I'm still glad it's a piggyback ride on Maverick. It's easier this way. I won't have much trouble in figuring out a way to cover my face that's obviously as ripe as a tomato by now. I can just bury my flustered face onto his back, and he won't even notice it.

    "Don't get too comfortable." Maverick says as his legs pump faster, bolting us into the dark woods.

     I can't see much of my surroundings since it's already night time, and everything's going by in a flash. It's too quick for the human eye to see.

     But, I can tell that we have passed by countless trees, and not once have we stumbled upon a trunk of a tree.

     I can hear the rustling of the trees, and the cracking of dry leaves and twigs against his footsteps. It seems that he knows every nook and corner of the woods. His movements are swift, yet he's careful not to let a branch, or a twig, leave a mark on my skin.

     His arms hook tight around my thighs, securing me as he continues to run with great speed. Our bodies are dangerously close together; we shouldn't be this close. Especially when Isabelle is just behind us, keeping up with Maverick's pace.

     My heartbeat is pumping faster. I hesitantly move my chest an inch away from his back, afraid that my heartbeat will beat against him. This is too overwhelming. Being so close to him is one thing, but witnessing something supernatural, like great speed, is another.

     The cold night breeze forces frozen kisses on my numb cheeks and slightly burns the tips of my ears. I should have brought a cap with me, but we were in a hurry. I'll just have to endure the bitter cold on the way.

     Afraid of slipping away from his grasp and crashing my body harshly onto the forest floor, I lock my arms around Maverick's neck- but not too tight since I don't want him to choke.

     Even if I did try to choke him, it would probably be like squeezing an iron pole to death.

     That's impossible.

     "We're almost there. Just hold on a little longer." Maverick instructs.

     He must've noticed my hands becoming sweaty, and it's causing my grip to become loose every step of the way.

     I decide to hold onto his shoulders, and hope that this ride will end soon.

    I don't know what is worse, the ride at the Town's Fair, or this. Even if the weather is cool, leaving everything dry, I don't understand why my hands are still sweaty.

    I'm probably just nervous, and a little anxious over something.

    "We're here." Isabelle announces. I turn to face her. She easily caught up with Maverick's speed. She doesn't look too tired after all the running. Actually, she never did look tired in any of her races in school.

     I bet my Gramma's cookies, she cheated.

     We slow down towards the front door. Maverick carefully puts me back on my feet. Isabelle flashes a grin at me, while catching her breath, "I told you, running was faster."

     She was right. If I had driven, it would take me about twenty minutes to get here. But, with their ability to run with great speed, we got us to Isabelle's house in less than five minutes.

     I smile weakly at them. A part of me is amused with the abilities that they have, but another part of me is slightly creeped out over the fact that they're werewolves, and they actually exist.