one

The essence of my being was to go west; to move towards the garden of eden. The luminous sun painted my body gold; glistening across the desert and hills. Couples naked across the sand, free from infancy.

The year is 1966, Nixon had just called for an increase in American military in Vietnam, adolescent men become rebellious as they should be.

Stoned Immaculate; body golden and untouched. "Do you need a ride miss?" A young man asked. I politely shook my head no and made my way across the warm deep sand.

"To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour"
-William Blake

The words unfold into my vast mind, dripping the sweet nectar into the colony. I haven't seen Ray for more then two years; time is my enemy that greets me like an old friend.

"Charlotte?" Ray always seemed to find me first, always alone. I turned my head and gave a slight yet eloquent smile.

"Ray" I murmured.

"Welcome to Eden," he responded. It was Eden; flourished with infancy, innocence and beauty. He was thriving with adolescence and intellect. "If you don't mind me asking this Charlotte, what are you doing in California?" he asked politely.

"The essence of my being is to be here. To flourish with innocence that I've lost since childhood—don't you crave it Ray?" I asked.

"Always" He replied.