Chapter 2

2

"Miss Halfrich," we were told by the Maid, who answered Holmes' knocking, "ain't at home sir. Today, she be with a gentleman friend. A Professor Moriarty. This evenin', they'll be 'tendin' the Theater."

"I see." Holmes asked, "Would you happen to know the name of the Theater?"

"I do indeed, Gov'n'r. It's the Savoy."

"I see." He said, "Thank you Miss."

"'Afternoon Gov'n'r."

As we stepped away from the house, Holmes said, "So the reportedly dreadful and effulgent Miss Halfrich is being escorted by the Napoleon of Crime?"

"Tell me Holmes." I asked, "Do you still suspect the missing Mr. Farnsworth, of being the murderer?"

"There may, my dear Watson, be more than one suspect. There may in fact, be three."

"Do you include Miss Halfrich among the three?"

"If Mr. Farnsworth is not the murderer, there may be more than one victim. That other victim may be Mr. Farnsworth."

He opened the newspaper, and looked at the Theatrical Announcements.

"Professor Moriarty and Miss Halfrich will be attending the premier, of an operetta named 'H.M.S. Pinafore'."

"'Pinafore'?" He laughed, "Ridiculous to think that one of Her Majesty's Ships would have such a name."

I said, "Seeing as I have already purchased a pair of tickets myself, I hope the Show is better than its title."

That evening, both Holmes and I arrived at the Savoy, about a half-hour before curtain time. We were dressed in top hats and evening attire. We stood outside, observing all the Lords, Gentlemen and Ladies, who arrived in elegant carriages.

I was observing the effulgence of certain young ladies, wondering if one of them was Miss Halfrich, when Holmes touched my arm.

"Here they are Watson."

I looked and immediately recognized Professor Moriarty, who had just stepped out of a cab, accompanied by a very attractive; some might daresay effulgent, young woman; young enough to be his daughter.

Moriarty recognized Holmes and me. He tipped his hat toward us, and we returned the courtesy.

He and the lady came over to us.

"Evening Holmes. Watson." He said, "I would like to introduce Miss Cecily Halfrich. Miss Halfrich. It is my honor, to introduce the famous detective, Mr. Sherlock Holmes himself, and his very good friend Dr. John Watson."

Miss Halfrich had a round face, framed by a circle of dark hair.

"I'm certainly delighted to meet you Mr. Holmes." The young lady laughed. Her voice chirped like a bird. "Unless you suspect me of some crime?"

"I'm wondering Miss Halfrich. A certain poet named William Farnsworth seems to have disappeared, and you were the last person known to have spoken to him."

Moriarty spoke, with a puzzled voice. "William Farnsworth? The name sounds familiar."

She told him, "He was at the get-together, two weeks ago. He was the fellow who wrote that dreadful poem. Truly Mr. Holmes, I have no idea where Mr. Farnsworth is, neither do I, in the slightest degree, care."

"Thank you Miss Halfrich. May I speak with you alone Professor?"

Miss Halfrich stepped away from us, out of earshot.