Chapter--3

3

That night, right outside my front door, beyond which I would have been safe, from any supposed vampires, Mr. William Farnsworth and the woman he was with, stepped closer to me. Mr. Farnsworth's appearance was greatly changed, from the way I'd always seen him. His brown suit was disheveled, his curly brown hair uncombed, and the expression on his face, was that of someone who might be dangerous.

The woman beside him was unkempt. She had dark hair that needed attending. Her white dress and dark wrap were in need of pressing. Her dark eyes gazed hungrily at me. By all appearances, I would daresay she was mad. The two of them together had a very unsavory appearance.

I spoke as a physician. "What is it William? Has your mother taken a bad turn? I told her it was not good for her to come outside in this weather."

"Don't know what's what, with me dear old Mummy. Been a long time since I've seen 'er Doc."

"That's what she told me." I informed him. "She's deeply worried about you William. You have to let her know how things are with you."

"I can't let her know. I don't want her to see how I've become."

"I understand that." I told him. "I smell the alcohol; but just get yourself cleaned up."

"It's more than strong drink Doc. I'd like to introduce me lady to you.

"Drusilla. This is Dr. John Watson. Late of her Majesty's forces in India. Dr. Watson, I'd like to introduce Drusilla."

The lady with the mad look in her eyes stepped forward and extended her hand. When I shook her hand, it was cold to the touch.

"Pleased to meet you Doctor." She also spoke with a cockney accent. "What song's that, you be singin'?"

"It's from a new operetta I attended tonight. 'H.M.S. Pinafore'. The latest from Gilbert and Sullivan."

She said, "I like Gilbert and Sullivan."

Drusilla began crooning to Mr. Farnsworth, in a madly seductive manner.

                                               "Poor wandering one.

                                                Though you have 

                                                surely strayed

                                                Take heart of grace

                                                Your steps retrace

                                                Poor wandering one."

I said, "Good advice to take Mr. Farnsworth; and you too madam."

He told me, "Some steps can't be retraced Doc. I can't ever go back to the way things used to be, as much as you and me Mum wish they could."

"That's what I've been hearing." I told him, "You are under suspicion for the ghastly murder, of a Mr. Reginald Carter."

He said, "I figured some people might think that. The last time we met, he expressed scorn for me poetry. Some people might think that be a motive for murder."

Drusilla laughed. She held out her hand in pantomime of holding a spike.

"Somebody drove a railroad spike through his skull. Just like that!"

She pantomimed stabbing her imagined spike, downward into a pantomime skull, and laughed.

I asked, "Is that what you did William?"

"No Doc. I swear on any Bible you got. Believe me, I'm not the only bloke who might've done in old Reggie. There be plenty of blokes in this City, with a good motive."

"And what might that motive be?" I asked.

"They knew him."

Then he and Drusilla laughed loudly.

I said, "While you may both find it funny, the Law does not; and neither does a Miss Cecily Halfrich. It is feared, that you might do the same to her."

His face showed an annoyed expression. "Cecily Halfrich can go drive a spike through her own skull! I wouldn't waste my time. She said I was beneath her. If she's afraid, I'm glad to hear it, but she has nothing to fear from me."

He put his arm around Drusilla, who smiled sweetly at him.

"The woman for me is right here."

"Mr. Farnsworth." I told him, "Your words alone are not enough to satisfy the Law."

"I know that Doc. That's why I've come to see you."

"How can I be of assistance?"

"You're known to be best of friends, with the Famous Detective, Sherlock Holmes himself. I'd like Mr. Holmes to clear me good name, by finding the real culprit."