We talk

As we sit on Joel's bed we talk about everything that has happened and our powers.
      'We should work with them more see how much stronger they get,' says Joel.
     In reply I say, 'maybe then more we work with them the father away from each other we can be and still be able to talk. Why do you think we are the only people in the school that have these powers?'
      'Not sure but I wanna try to figure it out,' he gives me a funny look, 'you know I was just about to ask the same thing.'
       'Well let's start by seeing what we have in common. There might be somethings to explain why only we have these powers.' I study his room.
'How about do you like sports.'
'Not really I prefer books. Do you like reading?'
He makes a face 'not even close.'
'Hmmmm how about parents? What do your parents do for a living?' I ask trying to find a similarity.
Without emotion he replies 'My dad works at the pentagon and my mom walked out on us when i was a baby. What about yours?'
I look at him for a moment in open mouthed surprise before saying in almost a whisper 'my mom died when I was for and my dad works at the pentagon too.'
'Do you have any siblings' he asks his eyes boring into me.
I look away from his gaze before whispering 'no'
'Me neither'
I look up at him (he is taller then me) 'do you have any memories of your mom?'
'No but that is a good thing that would make not having her around so much more painful.'
'I only have one memory of my mother and that is her saying a poem to me,
One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told
Eight for a kiss
Nine for a wish
Ten for a bird you must not miss' by the fourth line he is saying it with me. When I am finished he looks at me with an odd expression, 'I have I dream of a female voice saying that to me every night.' He says.
    'I didn't know that.'
     'How is it that we both know the same poem and both have a memory of a female voice saying it to us, in your case your mom' he asks.
     'I am not sure but I am going to find out' I respond meaning every word of it.