Chapter 25

Leslie couldn't believe how excited she was on her birthday just knowing that Greg had something special planned for her. Laughing to herself at the complete change her life had taken in the last three months, she looked in the mirror after preparing for her date with Greg. He had told her to dress casually, so she wore a pair of jeans with a teal sweater. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail at the crown of her head.

When she walked out to the kitchen with Waldo close beside her, she found Ashley putting a pot pie in the oven. "Ashley, I can't thank you enough for taking such good care of Waldo while I am at work! He is getting so spoiled having you around after school!"

"Don't mention it! He's a great dog, and we are getting to be pretty good friends!" Ashley bent down to scratch Waldo's belly as he grunted a sigh of contentment. "Oh, I forgot to tell you, Greg's mom, Alice, needs me to spend the weekend with her. She has a few projects she is going to work on, and I offered to help."

"That's so sweet of you! I'm sure she will appreciate an extra pair of hands."

Leslie's heart filled with pride as she fully noticed what a fine young woman Ashley was becoming. Her father still refused to let her come back home, which Leslie didn't think was a terrible thing. Outside of the abuse, she could see that Ashley was emerging from her shell and putting the past far behind her. "I'm just so proud of you." She wrapped Ashley in a hug.

They were interrupted by a knock at the door. "That must be your boyfriend," Ashley said with a sly wink.

Rushing to the door, Leslie was filled with anticipation; she still didn't have the faintest clue what Greg had planned for her birthday. Pulling the door open, she saw Greg wearing a pair of jeans and a navy sweater. "What are we doing tonight? I'm so excited I can hardly wait!" She threw her arms around his neck, and her heart felt like it would burst as his arms slipped around her and he held her close for a moment.

When she looked into his blue eyes, she noticed a look of excitement that was contagious. "I don't want to give everything away all at once, but I will give you a hint. I was thinking a few weeks ago about how your childhood wasn't what you would have picked for yourself. I decided that we would make some childhood memories together. The first thing I have for you is some jewelry."

She could feel her jaw drop. "Jewelry? Do normal kids have lots of jewelry?"

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace of thick, pastel beads on an elastic string and slipped it over her head. Touching it lightly with her fingers and pulling the elastic out far enough to see the beads, she shot Greg a questioning look.

"It's a candy necklace," he laughed. "When I was a kid, all the cool girls had them!"

Leslie giggled and took a bite of the tart candy. "I've never had one of these until now."

Greg took her by the hand as they walked down the stairs and to his pickup. "I'm really looking forward to making memories with you tonight. I hope you enjoy everything I have planned."

Squeezing his hand, Leslie reassured him, "Greg, I would be happy doing anything, just so long as I can do it with you."

************************************************************************

As they were approaching their first stop of the evening, Greg's heart began to race with anticipation. He wanted to make this Leslie's best birthday yet, and he hoped that she would love the things he had arranged. "Close your eyes, Leslie. We are almost there."