The Hunting Trip

It was a bright summer day in Camelot, and Arthur was on his way to speak with his father. He wanted to go on a week-long hunt. This would be his chance to get away from Merlin. It was killing him to only be able to look and not touch. He had had feelings for the other boy for quite some time now, but being gay and a prince was in no way possible. He had to get away and get his head on straight.

He arrived in the throne room and approached his the king. "Father, I wish to go on a hunt. A wee- long hunt." Uther looked up in surprize.

"Well I suppose, but you'll have to take Merlin with you." He waved his hand in a way that said 'I have given my final answer'.

"Of course." It was polite but sarcastic. He went back to his room and sighed heavily. Merlin coming would make the trip so much harder. After all, the point of going away was to get his mind off of Merlin. On his bed, he waited for the other boy, who was late to arrive.

A few minutes later, Merlin ran in. "Sorry I'm late, I was doing something with Gaius. Won't happen again. Maybe."

"No excuses, Merlin. Pack my things and then go home and pack yours. We're going on a week-long hunting trip." Arthur got up and left the servant alone.

"Okay." Merlin said, more to himself than Arthur, because Arthur was already gone by the time he said it. He quickly packed Arthur's things, left the bags on the bed, then went to pack his own belongings.

Gaius was making a healing remedy when Merlin walked in. "Home so soon?" He asked suspiciously, looking at the boy.

"Arthur says we're going hunting. And he said it'll be a long trip so I don't know when I'll be back." He packed his things quickly. "So I guess I'll see you in like a week maybe?" He ran out and back to Arthur's room, trying not to be late for the second time in one day.

Arthur was once again sitting on his bed, waiting impatiently. "Let's go. Get my bags and get the horses ready. I'll be waiting out front." He was gone before Merlin could say a word.

Confused, Merlin got Arthur's bags and followed. He wanted to know why Arthur seemed to be ignoring him, but he knew better than to ask. Arthur was already out front waiting, impatient yet again. Merlin got the horses and put the bags on them as fast as he could, nearly dropping all of their luggage in the process.

"Hurry up, Merlin!" Arthur was getting annoyed. He had wanted to be gone before Merlin even arrived so he didn't have to see him, but then his father told him Merlin had to go.

"I'm going as fast as I can. Why are you so impatient today?" He brought Arthur's horse to him as he spoke.

Arthur ignored him and got on his horse. He trotted around the courtyard, waiting for his servant to get on his. Merlin got on and looked at Arthur, waiting for him to take the lead. Arthur took off towards the forest at a full gallop, leaving Merlin behind.

---

A few hours later, they had found a place to set up camp for the night. Merlin had started a fire and was unsaddling the horses. Arthur had laid out a blanket by the fire and was laying on it staring at the stars, trying to focus on anything but Merlin. He was shirtless with his hands behind his head, his muscles tight. Merlin frequently glanced over at Arthur, unable to stop himself. He could feel something in him stirring, but did everything in his power to ignore it. Now was not the time or place to focus on the particular feelings he was, well, feeling.

Arthur glanced over at Merlin, smirking slightly. He could feel Merlin's eyes on him, and he flexed with a smirk. The dark haired boy blushed softly, quickly focusing his attention on the horses. Arthur liked this game.