3

He had no real plans. He had come to Port Charles for no credible reason except that his father had spent some time there in the nineties. He had found a job and begun to make friends when his father finally appeared. It wasn't for him though. It had never been for him. This time, Cesar Faison had come to Port Charles for the son he never knew, Nathan West. Not the son he had raised and hated, Henrik. Faison came to the place where both his sons were but only in search of the better one. Henrik was still nothing to him. No one knew that he was the son of a madman. Unlike Nathan, he never wanted to admit to it.

Here in Port Charles, he was Peter August. If his brother could change his name, so could he. As far as names went, he preferred Peter August. Henrik Faison was ruined by his parentage: a madman for a father and a mother who never loved him. Peter August was whoever he wanted to be. He tailored himself to whatever anyone needed. For Drew Cain, he was a calm and competent businessman. For Lulu Falconeri, he was a no-nonsense but empathetic boss. For Maxie Jones, he patterned himself after Nathan, adopting some of his mannerisms and his positivity. It was what she desperately wanted, and Peter wanted her. So, he gave her exactly that.

He had come to town tethered by his past, but after his father died, Peter found himself free. He could do what he wanted to do and be who he wanted to be. Over the last month, his plans had become more obvious to him. He'd looked on Nathan's life as idyllic. Nathan had everything: a career he loved, a wife he loved even more, and a child on the way. It was obvious to Peter even before he was murdered by their father. Peter wanted his brother's life, all of it; the life that Peter had been denied solely because of who he was and who he wasn't. He deserved that much for all his suffering.

After Nathan's death, Peter insinuated himself into Maxie's life, ingratiating himself with her. Maxie was open to him, leaning on him for support. They were friends. But Peter wanted more than that. He wanted her completely. He wanted her to look at him the way he had seen her look at Nathan. He wanted her to rely only on him, to only care what he thought and no one else. It would take time. She stubbornly refused to forget Nathan altogether. Being pregnant with Nathan's child didn't help. Peter was patient with her, giving her space when she needed it but finding ways to be the one she turned to when she became overwhelmed. He could afford to be patient and bide his time. After all, Nathan was never coming back.

***

Liesl returned to Nathan's bedside, checking his vitals before pulling a chair close to him. She took a deep breath, clearing her head and pushing vengeful thoughts away. When she sat with Nathan, she preferred to be calm and free of some of her pettier instincts. When she felt calm enough, she lifted his hand and held it in hers. His hands were beautiful, strong, and capable.

She looked at him, smiling gently. "Hello again, Nathan. It is time for our afternoon talk. Or my afternoon talk." She shook her head in sad amusement. "I wish you would wake and say something back to me. Then it really would be a conversation. I would even appreciate hearing you say Mom in your silly American accent. I miss it. Well, one day you will. I know it.

"Your father in law does not think your condition is improving. But it is. I am the doctor here and I can see it even if he can't. He is more concerned with Maxie. Don't worry, liebchen, she is perfectly safe. We will all see to that. In fact, Frisco has brought on Robert Scorpio to find Henrik. Once he is out of the way and it is safe, I will bring her here to see you. I think that would do wonders for your recovery. It may not be until she is safely delivered though. I promise you will be reunited."

She reached into her pocket, grasping a small piece of paper. She glanced at it briefly before pressing it into Nathan's hand. "Maxie sent this to me. I know it by heart. Hold your child, Nathan. Maybe it will give you strength to come back. Your family is waiting for you."