Chapter One

Rom had never thought that he could feel comfort around strangers who seemed to carry mementos from chaos, and could seem to kill him several times without giving him time to think, not that he was certain that he hadn't thought about that. Wala pa rin siyang kahit na anumang naaalala. It was as if there was a big hollow in his mind, as if he was born yesterday.

He felt the fear for the unknown, and the fear for the unusual feeling that was lingering in the air. He was still feeling lightheaded, as if his body grew limp from the time he spent in coma. Pero kahit na ganoon ay wala siyang kabang nararamdaman para sa mga kasama niya sa mesa na para bang talagang kilala na niya ang mga ito.

The guy who he saw back in the bed room was sitting beside him, and was giving him sideway glances, as if he was afraid he might do something stupid. He introduced himself as Ebenezer. He seemed to be ten years older than he was, but the guy retorted that they were only about the same age. Rom didn't bother to probe further.

Aaminin ni Rom, may malaking parte sa loob niyang gustong magwala dahil hindi niya naiintindihan ang nangyayari at ang sinasabi ng mga itong muli siyang nabuhay pagkatapos ang tatlong buwan. Deep down, he knew that it didn't make any sense, and the more he thought about it, the more he couldn't understand it. Iyon ang dahilan kung bakit mas pinili niyang harapin ang sitwasyon nang kalmado. He thought that he'd be able to think better if he would calm himself.

"Oo, namatay ka. Patay na patay. Patay na ililibing, ganoon," sagot ni Rojean sa tanong niyang paulit-ulit niyang itinanong. Maaliwalas ang mukha nitong nakatingin sa kanya at may bahid ng kaonting tuwa. Sa lahat ng kasama niya sa mesa'y ito lamang ang sumasagot sa mga tanong niya. The rest just kept on eating silently while constantly stealing glances at him.

He didn't know why the other two guys, Casper and Achilles, hadn't spoken a word to him since the moment Ebenezer announced that he had finally risen from the dead. Both Casper and Achilles had identical haircut as if they were in a military. Maayos din ang tindig at ang pangangatawan ng mga ito. Kung ikukumpara sa patpatin niyang katawan ay walang-wala siya sa mga ito.

The months he spent under the peculiar coma really took a toll on his body, although he wasn't all so sure that he was better built beforehand.

Rom tried hard to swallow his food, but the whole situation made eating much harder than it ever should. "Hindi ko alam kung paano ko paniniwalaan 'yan," aniya bago iginiya ang tingin kay Rojean na kaagad natawa dahil sa itinugon niya.

"Trust me, Rom, hindi rin namin alam. It's just how the things work around here, and we are supposed to take everything given, and ask nothing," tugon nito. "Pero puwedeng-puwede ka namang magtanong sa 'kin."

He just smiled at her to show his appreciation before his eyes started scrutinizing the small dining room where they were eating. Just like the room where he had woken up to, the walls and the ceiling in the dining room were painted white. Almost every single thing that was in the room was colored white, even the dining table where the white paint had seemed to wear off from its constant exposure to the environment.

Hindi rin napalampas ng kanyang mga mata ang kaparehong bagay na nakadikit sa dingding na kanya ring nakita sa kabilang kwarto. The inverted crucifix screamed for everyone's attention, especially his attention, and just like the first time he laid his eyes on it four hours ago, Rom felt as if his guts were hollow. He felt like throwing up.

Ramdam niya ang malalakas na pagtibok ng kanyang puso habang nararamdamang papasikip nang papasikip ang silid. May nalalasahan siyang kakaiba, parang lasa ng isang kutsilyong kinakalawang.

Huminga siya nang malalim. "Paano ako namatay?" tanong niya habang hindi iniiwas ang tingin dito. It was almost as if he was directing his question to the still object.