:: Chapter Seventeen ::

Chapter Seventeen 

Sophie brushed through her hair silently, trying to get out as many knots as possible--which was hard considering she had spent the previous night tossing and turning, completely ruining her hair. She spent most of the night trying to convince herself it was just going to be like any of their normal dates, then feeling slightly saddened when she found herself convinced. Saddened enough to make her have to redo the cycle, one that lasted the entire night. 

She knew she fell asleep at one point, she just couldn't remember when. She didn't remember any dream, which she was somewhat thankful for. No dream is better than a bad dream. The only thing telling her that she had even fallen asleep was the fact she woke up. 

"Hey, Soph, how much longer until Keefe picks you up?" Edaline questioned. 

Sophie jumped, startled due to the fact she didn't hear Edaline sneak up behind her. "Soon," Sophie informed. "I'm just trying to fix this mess." She gestured to her head. 

Edaline smiled at her and said, "You know Keefe loves you no matter what you look like."

"I know," Sophie replied. "It's just... I want to look really good for this particular date."

Edaline looked at her in surprise. "Oh, and why is that?" She looked away nervously. 

"Do you know something?" Sophie asked her mother, frowning. 

"No," her mother replied, shaking her head. 

Sophie shrugged. "Well, I was looking through some things and realized that today is the anniversary of when Keefe and I met," she said, not exactly lying. She didn't want to know if he was proposing or not, and she especially didn't want her mom to be the one to tell her if he was planning it. Suspicion was suspicion, though. 

"Well, that's sweet you guys planned a date then today. Your father and I are going to head out, I'll see you later Soph."

"Bye mom," she called out as Edaline walked out of her room. It took another three to five minutes until Sophie finally gave up on calming the storm that was her hair, she would just have to deal with it. After that she changed into a simple white dress, not thinking too hard about it as she tried putting some black leggings underneath. It took staring into the mirror for almost ten minutes to convince her that she looked okay enough and didn't need to change much. 

After that she put on all her necessary jewelry, avoiding rings in case she was about to get a new one. She moved downstairs where Keefe sat in the kitchen drinking a slightly green liquid, and she decided not to bother asking what it was. When he noticed her walking up he immediately sat up in his seat and grinned. "Hey, beautiful."

She took the seat next to him and kissed his cheek. "Hey, what's the plan?" 

"I don't have one," he told her, smiling. "I figured we plan too much and let's just go out and live today."

She grinned as he leaned down and pecked her lips. "That sounds mighty fine to me," she replied, happy to just get to spend the day with him. With how happy she was to just spend a day with him, suddenly she found herself grateful that she would get to spend the rest of her life with him. Even if that wasn't the day, even if he didn't plan to propose that day, she knew in her heart that one day he would. And then after that there was only forever. 

They went back up to her room and both laid down side by side on her bed and started to catch up with each other, even if it hadn't been that long since they saw each other. After talking for about two hours about stories from the last time they had truly had a long conversation about updates in their lives, the two moved on to simply bringing up the past and after another two hours they had talked about some of their favorite memories with each other.