One

Alexandra gasped loudly, sitting up. Her vision went blurry, but she realised she was in a hospital room.

She could see a blurry frame of the bed, doctors and nurses talking outside, muttering and glancing nervously at her. She could hear the soft but steady beating of the heart monitor and the soft chatter of the staff. Alexandra could smell the strong scent of hand sanitiser. Her mouth was dry, but there was a slight aftertaste of medicine.

A wave of nausea swept over her, black spots dancing around in her vision. She heard a strange noise - whirring and loud beeping - but Alexandra expected it to be from a migraine throbbing at the back of her head. She slouched down and blacked out, exhausted.

(flashback in Alexandra's POV)

Everyone had their eyes on me. As I walked through the halls, I could feel every stare burning into my skin with every step I took. I was unwanted, unloved, alone. Dyslexia was my downfall. I couldn't read simple words, and my adoptive parents didn't bother sending me to a better school. I had random freeze responses; I would stop moving in the most inconvenient of times. I stuttered and had a slight lisp. I was disliked by everyone, treated like trash, thrown away.

The ringing of the school bell blared across the building, and I was shoved side-to-side by rushing students.

A whirring noise started in the back of my head, and I fell to the ground. There was no space to move, the hallways were packed. The back of my head hit the cold, tile ground, and my world started spinning wildly. The pristine white was now stained with a dark red. I fell into a black abyss, the sound of shrieks and cries for help fading away.

-----

Note: Most chapters will be very short. Please enjoy my first narrative!