Chapter 2: Clashing with the newbie.

In this precise moment there are only two things bothering me and making it impossible for me to be happy: the sun coming through my window, and the ringing alarm clock resting in my left night stand.

I push the duvet cover, exposing my poor eyes to the golden sunshine that is filling my room; curse Portland and it´s sunny mornings. I let out a sigh and pull the rest of the covers off me and roll to the left side of my king-sized bed; with my face flat in the pillow I extend my right arm and slam it in the alarm clock turning it off, then I roll to my right side of the bed and reluctantly swing my legs off it.

I walk into the bathroom and after placing my blue IPod in my Bose I get into the shower. Just when I’m about to turn it on and let the water come through it, Can´t Hold Us, by Macklemore  blasts through the speakers and I have the need to do everything along with the rhythm of the song. I finally get out of the shower swaying my hips to the song which is still playing and wrap my sky blue towel around my naked body.

After brushing my wavy brown hair and applying body lotion, I take out a pair of dark Dolce and Gabbana skinny jeans, a long sleeved light pink Channel blouse and my pair of knee-high Giorgio Armani leather black boots.

“Emma, sweetie, come down for breakfast!” mom called from the kitchen. Just in time.

I do as my mother told me, grab my things and go downstairs, straight to the kitchen. Jakey, Mas and Nate are already eating their pancakes in the counter with mom while Lucy (our maid) cooks the rest. I kiss my mom good morning and wave to the guys, then I make my way over to where Lucy is cooking breakfast and bear hug her by her back. Yep, we really love and appreciate her. She is a late 50´s woman, smaller than all of us… She is actually like 4.9 ft. and has been working with us since Noah was 2 years old; now imagine our gratitude toward her.

The kitchen´s door slams open and reveals a shirtless Drew and a laughing Noah; they both came inside and saluted us. Dad came next, also laughing and with a water gun in his hands. Mom looked at him with a puzzled expression and kissed her good morning. “Both your sons were still sleeping 10 minutes ago, but this baby helped me get them out of bed” Dad said, making emphasis on this baby (the water gun).

The guys finished their pancakes and we said bye to mom, dad and Lucy, each of us took our car keys and hopped inside our cars; we are used to drive simultaneously to school and arrive nearly at the same time.

After Noah, Drew and Jake drove off I switched on the engine of my midnight blue Lamborghini and made my way out of our big garage.

***

The bell rang indicating that first period was finally over. I rushed out of the classroom to my locker and exchanged my books.

Jason was already waiting for me there so we were now walking down the hall together. I was telling him about our trip to Colombia in three weeks and how he was also coming with us, (Nana loves him as if he was another of his grandsons), when suddenly I felt something more like someone collide with my left shoulder, making me throw all of my books along with my backpack to the floor.

“Careful dude” Jason snapped while helping me to pick everything up.

The person whom I collided with bent down and picked my backpack, while I was recollecting all the stuff that came out of it.

- “Oh shit” he muttered before looking up to meet my light brown eyes; his were dark blue.

We both stood up quickly and he gave me my belongings our fingers brushed, neither of us made single move to cut our piercing eye contact.

A throat was cleared; I looked back and saw Jay-Jay staring at us with confusion. “Do you know each other?” 

The stranger and I answered NO at the same time and Jay-Jay just shook his head and released a chuckle, “Well then I’ll see you at lunch Em” he winked at me and leaved, way to go Jay-Jay...

Seconds passed by and I noticed that none of my brothers came to scare the stranger.

 “Hey I´m sorry” he said, still staring right in my eyes.

- “It´s fine, it´s not like if you did it on purpose, though” I nodded and he cracked a smile.

“Emma Stratton!” oh shit.

I turned my head towards the voice calling my name; headmaster Ms. McKenzie.

She was sprinting across the hall and stopped right in front of me, panting for breath.

“Ms. Stratton, I´ve been looking for you since school started this morning.” She said

“Well, here I am, how can I be useful?” I answered, not breaking eye contact with the stranger. He is dressed with dark jeans and a grey buttoned shirt, with the sleeves rolled up exposing his biceps. His brunette hair was messy, as if he had run his hands few times through it.

“Well, Emma” Ms. McKenzie started and I turned to face her, “I would like you to meet Evan Dawson, our new student. I´ll be glad if you could please guide him to his classroom; would you?”

Evan Dawson… how sexy… Shut it Emma!

I suddenly understood that she was talking about the guy in front of me, who was now staring intently at me… “Ehem, yes… I will” she clapped her hands twice and mouthed a “perfect” before turning on her heels and leaving me again alone with the stranger.

“So… Emma, huh?” I extended my hand and he gave me his schedule.

“Right; so, Evan… we´ve got class with Mr. Jennings in less than a minute, let´s go.”

-“We?” he asked, amused.

“Yup. We´ve got most classes together.” “C´mon, let´s go.”

   ***

School ended, homework was done and dinner already ate. I took a pair of pink shorts and a black hoodie out of my closet and dragged myself into bed.

I buried myself with my three layers of covers and rested my head in the pillow… dammit, I can´t sleep.  

I´m not able of taking that Evan Dawson guy out of my thoughts. I´ve been rewinding our Spanish class with Mr. Jennings this morning, when we were paired up together and think in the way he is so mysterious yet he won´t stop making me laugh.

We were sitting across from each other at my desk, and he was drawing random stuff in the last paper of my notebook.

“So, Evan… tell me about yourself”

-“So, Emma… what do you want to know?” he answered, still looking down at the paper.

“Well, I don´t know… your likes, dislikes?”

-“Well…” he remained quiet for almost five seconds, I was able to se how his eyes turned darker; I guess that thinking of his answer. “I like to draw”.

When I was about to ask him about what he was currently drawing the bell rang. He stood abruptly, went to his desk, grabbed his things and left.

I stayed sitting down, perplexed because of what just happened… was he mad?

I slowly stood up and as I did I noticed my notebook open on it´s last page. I looked down and saw the most beautiful rose I´ve ever seen. It was painted in black and white, located right in the center of the paper and had a dark colored “E” straight in the middle. It had leafs in it´s surroundings along with little roses; simply magnificent.

I let a gasp out of my mouth as soon as I was done admiring it and ripped the sheet out of the notebook. I folded it into a tiny square before putting it inside the back pockets of my jeans; I made my way out of the classroom and finished the rest of the school day. I didn´t see Evan again.

“I will find out what was wrong.” I told to myself

After few more failed tries of remembering the whole scene to understand the situation, I finally slept.