Chapter 28: Should've Listened

Someone wants you. Right now. Someone wishes you were with them. Keep that in mind.
Kaitlyn

* Liz's Perspective*

No no no No o n N

Incoherent, my last shred of sensibleness whispers to me.

Incoherent? I'll give you
that

If I say jump, you say how high! Sound familiar? You're useless. This is what you have become, nothing. Look at yourself. Seriously, get out. Do something for once. You can fix this. You can fix yourself. Like always. Just try. I'm sure you can. If you try.

Never speak you
ugh.

Look at yourself. I mean, come on. This is just sad.

I'm incapable of correctly forming words, it's a good thing this other side of my brain is part of me. She understands.

What do I mean? She interprets my silence perfectly, no surprise there. You're lying on the ground--beneath your bed, for Heaven's sakes, Liz.

Liz? Oh, name. Yes.

Pathetic.

I stretch out from within my mind to actually see through my open eyes. I look up at the brown wooden panels of the underside of my bed. I feel the cold hardwood floor beneath my fingertips. Caressing my legs, raising goosebumps there.

Sad

Didn't I tell you?

Hate

Aren't you familiar with that emotion?

Shut

Shut what? My mouth? You're funny. I'm your brain, you imbecile. I have no physical mouth. As if that means anything to you. You care nothing about anything. Except for your good ole precious Harry.

(Mocking! She's mocking him!) something within me screams.

I still don't see why you love him. He's done nothing for you. He's hurt you. You're stupid. You trusted him. You're stupid. You accepted him. You're stupid. He took you in. He's stupid. He had an option to look after you. I didn't. Now I'm stuck with you and all your problems and crap! God I hate him!

Stop even my thoughts come out breathless, as if he's taken even that.

What? Does that bother you? My strong dislike for the one you can't bring yourself to hate? Guess what? I'm you, and I hate him.

No. No.
N

O
No!

You believed that every ounce of you, every part of your being loved him so dearly. Well, you're wrong. You were so madly fallen for him that you never stopped to consider me. Yeah, I'm still here. Sadly. I wish I were gone. So I wasn't stuck with you. Besides, you're heart loves him fully. I'll give you that. Take pride in that. Whatever. See if I care. Not like you'd take the time, too, though. However, a part of your mind--oh, such a slim minority of your mind, but still there--despises him. I alone could see what he had the power to do. What he would do. Only I saw him for what he really was, a liar. You fell for his trick, and I had no say in it. Yes, he's a liar. Do you know how whenever you looked into his eyes you'd see something you couldn't place? Something that you never really understood? I know what it is. I figured it out right away. You never cared to listen, though. That lost, endless look in his eyes. If you never noticed, it's self-induced. He makes himself look that way. He doesn't want you to see the way he actually thinks. He doesn't want you to know that he doesn't care. That he never cared! It's this that is the most important. It's the part of him that cheats you. The part of him that plays you like a game. That's all he is. He is a liar. And you fell for his game. Like every gambler at 2 am when they think they've finally gotten the Jackpot. See? He's no different. He's nothing special. You've fallen for a sly thief who, like in the movies, snuck away in the dead of the night. So now what? What have you accomplished by falling in love with someone who was never right for you? He's gone. You're not. You're here, alone, under your bed because you're too sad and miserable to pick yourself up off the ground and collect all those friggin' pieces of your stupid shattered heart. Idiot. Pathetic. Stupid. You should've listened. But you never knew, did you? I'm sure you didn't even hear me at all, did you? You were too "in love" with him. Let me guess. You couldn't hear me over the sound of chirping birds and happiness ringing through your ears? Well, I'm glad you had those months of obliviousness where you could relax and be happy and be fooled like a silly child. Really, I'm glad. You deserve it. But now it's time to wake up. Smell the coffee. Pull yourself together. Get over it. This is sad and stupid and I'm ashamed to admit that I'm a part of you.