Chapter Ten

By the time I made it back to the bathing pool with the Chief, Hanai—fully dressed, thankfully—lay stretched out beside the remains of the fire, his long black hair steaming as it dried. The Chief joined him and poked at the glowing embers, stroking them back into flames.

"They're talking about you." Adam spoke in a soft voice as he stepped next to me.

I didn't look at him, but kept my eyes on the steaming water. "What're they saying?"

"They're happy you're here.... Hanai is gushing about the hot spring.... Chief Tavar wants us to stay awhile."

I grunted. "Should we? Stay awhile?"

"I think so," Adam whispered. "They won't hurt us, we can regain our strength, go to Gregorio in a month or so. They'll even teach us some magic."

"Don't you already know magic? I mean, how can you hear them?"

"The air tells me everything."

I shifted, making rustling noises in the forest debris.

"Like right now you're scared. Why?"

Scared wasn't exactly right. More like nervous. I cleared my throat. "Can they teach me how to read?"

"You can't read?"

"Hot blazes. Scream it, why don't you? No, I can't read, all right?"

Adam took a step back, his eyes searching mine. I put on my best I-dare-you-to-say-another-word face.

"Sorry, sorry. I can teach you to read. That's definitely something you need to know. All Firemakers—"

"Firemaker?" the Chief asked. "Would you like to participate in the bewitching ceremony?"

"Sure," I said at the same time I turned around. Relieved I didn't have to endure Adam's lecture about what all Firemakers should know how to do, I hurried over to the Chief.

Adam came up beside me, and the four of us formed a circle around the fire.

The wind picked up, snaking its way down the collar of my cloak. Adam raised both hands and shoved them forward, palms out. The wind whistled before disappearing into the trees.

"Impressive, Mr. Gillman," the Chief said. "Almost as impressive as Mr. Kilpatrick's hot spring." His gaze landed on me, and I squirmed under the weight of it. "But let me show you what Spirit-speakers can do."

He started chanting, a low sound that originated in his throat and didn't go much further. I couldn't understand his language, but the song had a familiar rhythm. As the minutes passed, my heart beat in time with the melody.

"One," the Chief intoned without breaking the continuity of the chant.

I locked eyes with Adam, almost sensing his pulse within my own chest. It fluttered too fast—frantic almost. I smiled, though not all the way. His face relaxed, the crinkles around his eyes creasing as he smiled back. His pulse slowed, matching mine.

"Two," the Chief said, his eyes closed now. The chant picked up in tempo; my heart matched it. The curling smoke soothed me, and I wanted to close my eyes and get lost in the woodsy scent of it.

Forcing myself to keep my eyes open, I glanced at Hanai. He grinned at me like a kid who'd just been chosen for a Council. His pulse thrummed too slowly, and I frowned. He did too, his heartbeat quickening.

"Three," the Chief said, the underlying rhythm unbroken. He thrust his hand into the fire, still chanting in the back of his throat.

My heart stopped completely at the sight of his fist in the flames. He seemed to be stroking them, actually touching them. As he did, they turned colors, first burning green, then purple, then blue.