Chapter Forty-Three

"I don't want him there," I stated. The conference table in front of me was metal and cold, and I folded my arms to contain a tremor.

"Councilman Kilpatrick, he is an invited guest." Davison sounded like he had run out of patience fifteen minutes ago. Or maybe yesterday after my panic attack. He'd announced the changes in the law I'd insisted on. In fact, he'd met every one of my demands, right down to the color of robes we wore. I'd requested green, though I would've taken anything but the navy blue we'd been assigned in Gregorio. I fingered the emerald silk along my arms.

"Well, uninvite him." I glared at Adam, who continued to stare out the window.

Davison exhaled through pursed lips. "He's severely injured, and he'll be chained. He won't bother you."

"Just having him here bothers me. Knowing he's in the building...." I shuddered.

"I need to see him," Adam said quietly as he turned toward me. "I have to look my brother in the face and have him see me as an Airmaster. A chartered Councilmember. Not a sentry." His eyes burned with an intensity I'd never seen.

We stared at each other, the tattoo still wedged between us.

"Fine," I said.

"Fine." Adam turned back to the window, his hands clasped formally behind his back.

I hated this chasm between us, but I didn't know how to bridge it. My nerves seemed even more exposed than usual. I felt dangerous, desperate, unsure. My fire surged and quelled as I attempted to make sense of the mess in my life.

"Councilman." Davison had to say it twice more before I realized he was talking to me. He stood in the doorway, clearly waiting for me to accompany him to the ceremony.

"Sorry," I murmured as I followed him into the hall. We headed outside and up the steps to a platform in the center of the town square. The evening sun had dipped below the horizon, bathing the city in pink light. Lanterns had been set up in the streets, illuminating the horde of people clustered in the square beneath the flickering firelight. I remained close to Adam, wanting to reach out and grip his hand. He'd squeeze back, helping to calm my raging insecurities.

Oh, how I wanted to. Instead, I existed with my own nerves.

Special seating for invited guests stretched in front of the platform. Felix's heavily bandaged face stood out, and the air left my lungs. Two sentries stood behind Felix, and the petering sunlight glinted on the silver chains binding him to the chair.

Before I could reach for him, Adam laced his fingers through mine. My nervous energy only increased.

"People of Tarpulin, people of the United Territories." Councilman Davison stood before the throng of people, his arms raised, welcoming them. I'd never seen anything like this in Crylon, but Davison said in Tarpulin, all new Councils were presented to the people.

"We present the re-opening of the Elemental Academy, and the first Council that will reside therein." He gestured to me. "This is Gabriella Kilpatrick, a new female Firemaker and Councilman, as well as the girl responsible for the displacement of Alexandra Pederson."

The babble in the crowd only increased as they all whispered to each other. I had no idea what they might be saying. And I found I didn't care.

I was who I was. Gabby Kilpatrick, girl, Firemaker, Councilman. I didn't know how to be anyone—or anything—else.

"You don't have to be," Adam whispered, nudging me forward.

Davison motioned for me to join him, a mask of confidence thinly veiling his frustration. I stumbled forward with Felix's laser gaze burning into me. Then I straightened my shoulders and looked him straight in the eye.