Chapter 1

'I've never know what a real family is.'

'What real friends are.'

'How it feels to be loved.'

'All that was ripped from me when my mother died.'

The sound of my alarm clock wakes me up from my dream. I can't call my nightmares nightmares. As I'm living a nightmare, so I call them dreams. My dreams may be considered nightmares to those who don't understand my situation, but when I contemplate what's a dream and nightmare. My life is more of a nightmare than the "dreams" in my head could ever be.

When I open my eyes, I'm unfortunately still staring at the roof of the attic. Or what everyone in the pack house likes to call my room. 18 years, of pain and suffering. Everyday at 7am they wake up and the cycle continues. I've tried to leave, but that was when I was naive and young. I've learned that, you can't escape from the people who want to see you dead.

I sigh and get up after pondering for a few minutes, why I'm still alive.

"Because once we find our mate, life will be better." My wolf has been saying that for as long as I can remember. She knows I don't believe her, how could I when all my life, I have never been shown any type of love.

Once I get downstairs, I see Marium the old lady who helps me from time to time. This is the part of the story where you say, you can't say you have never experienced an ounce of love when this lady obviously loves you. That's funny. She does not care for me, she only helps me.

"Marium, did they tell you what they wanted for breakfast?" She looks up from a small cookbook and shakes her head.

"Well then they are going to have eggs and ham. Just like yesterday." Going to the fridge, I grab the eggs and ham, along with orange juice and milk. The wolves in this damn pack don't ever allow me to have enough money to buy good groceries so we always end up with the same thing. Eggs and Ham. After finishing up with the food, I set the ham in the middle of the table along with the eggs and other breakfast essentials before saying goodbye to Marium, who only gives a slight nod back. Racing up to my room so I don't have to be the target of this mornings anger. Looking around my "room" I grab the small bag I call a backpack.

Normally, wolves like me are not allowed to go to school, but the Luna of this pack insisted I get an education so one day I could actually succeed at something other than cooking and cleaning. After getting dressed in a black sweatshirt and black leggings I slip on my old sneakers and quietly get out of the pack house as soon as I can.

I've learned that the earlier you get up, the less wounds you have.

Since we share a school with humans, we have to keep our wolffish personalities at bay. Wouldn't want anymore "accidents". At 7:30 the school opens up to early risers who may want to just finish some homework or to escape certain people. I obviously do this for both reasons. However today I didn't seem to be so lucky.

"Wow Adelina. I didn't expect you to be here today seeing as you weren't at breakfast this morning." Turning towards the very familiar voice I recognize as my sisters, my face goes blank of any emotions I had before she arrived.

"Oh you know. Didn't feel like getting an early morning bruise." I've never had a good relationship with my siblings. I belonged to a set of triplets. My two brothers, Mason and Cain used to be my best friends. We would do everything together, but when my mother died. It's like I died along with her. My whole family cast me out after thinking I had some hand in helping her.

"I mean you deserve the bruises after what you did." My sister sneers at me knowing that memories of the night my mother died still haunts me.

"You know Corinne if anyone deserves anything, you deserve a better doctor. I mean look at your stomach. Sure doesn't look like extra fat." My sister has had multiple pregnancy scares, considering she's the pack whore. This comment causes her face to turn redder than a tomato.

"You little." She raises her hand but is caught by the librarian, before she can actually hit me.

"Corinne. I suggest lowering your hand unless you want detention for physical harm to another student on school grounds." The librarian is a human, but she's knows about the wolves who inhabit this school. Corinne looks even more agitated at the interruption.

"I'll pass, but thanks for the offer." She smiles, but it's so forced that everyone can tell she doesn't mean the smile. The librarian raises an eyebrow causing Corinne's fake smile to turn back into a frown. Corinne growls lowly since the opportunity to harm me isn't there anymore.

"Well I guess I'll see you later." She looks down at me, her eyes wolffish.

"We will discuss this later." With that, Corinne walks away most likely going to find one of her many toys.

The bell rings causing me to jump.

"Damn I'm late for class!" I close my book and race to my classroom my heart pounding. However before I can actually make it to my classroom I catch a smell, that I haven't ever had a chance to smell before. It was like, pine trees and fresh cut grass. Then the smell disappeared and instead I crashed into a wall of flesh.

"Watch where you're going!" I look up from the floor, my tail bone screaming at me. However my nerves begin to scream at me when I notice who it is.