Part 8: Getting Cozy

"Lay off for fuck's sake, Mads," you hissed, leaning forward on the table

She shrugged and put out her cigarette.

"I'm just vetting him for you," she said, clinking the ice cubes against the side of her glass, "You can never tell with boys these days." She drew out the word 'boys' for emphasis.

You sighed and took a big gulp of Guinness. Mads always had a way of slicing everything with cynicism. Even when you knew she legit cared about something, she had to mask it with her cool stare and coy lips. It felt too familiar.

"He's not a boy," you said, "and you're starting to piss me off."

"He's not?" she raised an eyebrow at you.

"You're certain he can handle a woman like you?" she said smiling, her long lashes fluttered slowly.

"Yes, Christ! He's more of a man than five of those geezers put together," you waved at the table next to you, full of football hooligans who seemed to only communicate with each other in grunts. One of them heard you and sneered, "Piss off."

"He can handle me alright! He can handle me up one side of London and down the other! He can handle me in bed, in a car, on a boat on a fucking Ferris wheel, Mads!" you shouted, sounding like Dr. Seuss. He can handle me in a house. He can handle me with a mouse.

"You're drunk," she laughed.

"So are you," you joined her laughing, "please give it a rest and just smoke your fucking fag. Tom's the best thing to ever happen to me. Can you just be happy for me?"

Mads tucked a cigarette in the corner of her mouth and pulled out her lighter, shrugging.

"He's a lucky, boy," she winked and lit her cigarette.

You frowned.

"Man," she said quickly, "He's a lucky man." Then she held your eyes for a moment. They looked a bit misty.

"Are you okay?" you reached across the table and squeezed her hand. It was rarity to see her so vulnerable.

"I suppose I'll have to be," she said quietly.

"What is that supposed to mean?" you wrinkled your brow.

"Getting cozy?" Tom appeared with more drinks and a bit of a shit eating grin on his face. Mads blinked and sat up straight, pulling on her cigarette. Tom settled in next to you and put his arm around you. He was so warm and smelled so fucking good.

You took a deep breath, your head swimming with booze and lust.

You snuggled up next to him and playfully bit him on the chest, tugging at the fabric with you teeth.

"Ow! She's eating me! Cannibal! Cannibal!" Tom shouted, looking around for assistance.

"No one's coming to help you, Tiger," you giggled, pinching his side.
He grabbed you roughly, trying to restrain you.

"Behave," he growled in your ear.

"Never," you purred in his. Your hand gripped him through his trousers. He cleared his throat and nodded at Mads. Oh right, she was still there.

"I'm going to go pry Percy away from tall, dark and handsome over there at the bar," she said, crawling out of the booth with her things.

You stood up and put a hand on her arm.

"You sure you're okay?" you asked. She was just acting weird, even for Mads.

She stared at you with those sultry eyes and then, to your complete surprise, she kissed you.

"Whoa," you said stunned, pulling away and holding your hands up.

Wait a minute.

She looked at you, then at Tom and wandered over to the bar without a word.

You turned around, wide eyed, to look at Tom. His jaw was on the floor and his eyes were saucers. You raised your eyebrows at him like, what the fuck just happened?

His jaw slowly lifted and set itself into a wicked grin. His eyes glinted with mischief as nodded and mouthed the words,

"Jennifer Aniston."