Chapter 2

Chapter 2

     When I finally stepped into my bedroom the first thing I did was belly flop onto my heavenly bed.  Think I’m exaggerating?  I’m not.  I figured the least thing the world could do for me was allow me a few hours of sleep before I set off on my ‘perilous’ journey to seek out the “infallible” Blackthorne pack with its big bad wolf of an alpha.  Ha!  That kid will look like a pup next to me.

     That last bit drew the faintest smirk onto my lips.  Alright, come on sleep, let’s get it on!  But, of course, that’s when all thoughts of what Patrick had just told me assaulted me and pushed sleep far out of my reach.  How was I supposed to carry out the rebellion and bring us to victory?  For crying out loud, I could barely tie my shoes without getting impatient and throwing them at the wall!  (I swear, one of these days I’m just gonna have custom shoes made with straps.  Yes, I’m talking about the little kid gym shoes with the Disney princesses on the sides that light up every time you take a step.).  If I could barely do that, how was I supposed to lead a rebellion?

     Maybe Patrick was wrong, I argued with myself.  Maybe you have a long lost twin?  I rolled my eyes.  Yeah, I have a long lost twin that no one decided to tell me about.  That’s it.

     I bit back a whimper of exhaustion as I got to my feet and stood in front of my full body mirror.  My traced along the hips of my coke bottle figure and ran up along the curb of my breasts to the nape of neck where the heart-shaped locket my parents had given me rested.  Inside was a picture of my parents and me on my 10th birthday, 2 years prior to their disappearance.  My long, tan arms moved down to my slender wrists before I let them fall back down to my sides.  I stood easily at 5 feet, 7 inches.  My almost platinum blonde hair fell down to the middle of my back in waves.  But the weirdest part about me overall are my eyes.  Right now, they were a boring old hazel that turned green in the sun, but when I shifted into my wolf form my eyes turned into a molten gold.  And sometimes, when I looked in the mirror, I swear my eyes were purple.  I blamed it on a trick of the light, but still, sometimes I wondered…

     And then there was the matter of me shifting into wolf form.  No, our clothes don’t shred into a million different pieces when we shifted.  What do you think this is, Wolf Man?  Ha!  I’m not gonna bore you with the science of it all, (and trust me, it will put you to sleep, it’s that boring!) but let’s just stick with when we shift back to our human bodies our clothes are exactly the same as before we shifted.  Back to the topic at hand, most wolves shift into beautiful wolves varying from brown, tan, gray, and (personally, my favorite) black.  Me?  Well, we all know I’ve just got to be an exception to every rule.  Instead of shifting into one of those colors, I shift into a pure white wolf.  No exaggeration there, I swear.

     According to the elders, there’s never been a pure white wolf recorded before in our werewolf history.  I guess that just makes me all the more special, huh?  I mean, at least now that I’m the “Savior” that’s gonna save the werewolf world they won’t be able to miss my white coat, right? Sure, let’s go with that.

     I groaned and flopped back onto my bed.  I buried my head into my pillow and screamed.  Why do I already get the feeling that I’m going to find a way to screw everything up?  Let’s hope not.

     I drifted off to sleep for a solid five minutes when I heard small footsteps charging through the hallway leading to my room.  As tired as I was, a big smile lit up on my face and I was sitting up in an instant.  There were several raps on my door, but the rascals didn’t even wait to be called in.  They knew I’d never shun them. 

    Five children, two adorable girls and three tough little men, bounced on top of my bed.  By the sad looks in their eyes I already knew I was in for an interesting lecture.  When my parents had disappeared, the children’s mothers had basically adopted me as their own.  The little rugrats didn’t have any older siblings, so I’d become their older sister and now we all seemed to be attached at the hip.  Leaving them was going to be one of the hardest goodbyes for sure.