Chapter 1

Gay, Lesbian, transgender, queer, bisexual, or any sexuality other than straight for that matter in my household isn't allowed. That's how it's always been, even when I didn't realize it. I can remember that when I was little, I had a best friend named Aria and in elementary school and we would play together all the time. The teachers called us inseparable, but we had only known each other for a couple of months. One night I asked my parents if I could go over to Aria's house the next day and they agreed on the condition that they go with me to her house. When I got to her house she was waiting by the window for my car to pull up. I ran up to the door and rushed inside to play dolls with her, while my parents came in slowly behind me. As we ran through her house I'd realized that she stopped twice to say hello to her mother, but both of her mothers looked completely different. It was only until we got into her room that we heard my mother gasp louder than she'd ever gasped before as well as my father start to yell.

I got scared and said, "Aria, I'm sorry but I'm worried about my mommy. I'm going to go see if she's okay."

Aria nodded and replied, "It's okay, go ahead."

"I'll be back in a few minutes!" I told her as I ran out.

I ran out and found my mother as well as my father in the living room with their faces in shock.  

"Mommy, what's wrong?" I asked.

My mother then ran over to me at the speed of light and covered my eyes as I saw Aria's two mothers kiss.

Then my mother simply stated, "We're leaving."

I heard a voice call, "Noelle?" and as I pushed my mothers' hand off my face I saw that it was Aria's voice. Her little heart looked as if it was about to break as my mother pulled me. We both cried as my mother tore me away.

"MOM! HOW COULD YOU? SHE WAS MY BEST FRIEND!" I screamed.

"Oh Noelle, you understand when your older," my mother answered as I continued to scream.

When we came back to school my teacher told me that I had been switched to a different class. Aria and I were too young to understand why it happened, but now I know. I know the reason for why my mother gasped and my father yelled. It's because they were lesbian. Later that year Aria and her parents moved away.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Now that I'm older I understand why she tore me away. My mother said it was better for me to get away from an uncivilized culture of homosexuals. They are a mentally ill culture that will cause harm to our society. A culture that goes against the laws of nature without a male partner so that children cannot be produced. Or to shorten it, it just isn't natural. God created a man and a woman for a reason instead of two people of the same gender. Homosexuals are bad examples for kids too which is why my mother covered my eyes when I was younger. However, all of these "facts" were all "facts" my mother told me. Quite frankly I used to believe the same thing and agreed with her too, but I never publicly spoke out about my views on it. Until now, my sophomore year of high school. I walked into the school and found my best friends Mai, Talon, Kace, and Autumn in our usual spot right before classes. Mai has been my best friend since sixth grade and she's also how I met Autumn. On the other hand, Autumn and I only became good friends with each other in 8th grade because we had never really made an effort to get to know each other. Talon and Kace are two boys that I had classes with last year and we've stayed good friends ever since. We had roughly twenty-five to twenty minutes each day before school, except it was awkwardly quiet today. So I decided to start conversation. 

"So, how are you guys?" I asked.

They all looked at each other until Talon said, "oh, we're good."

Mai looked as guilty as ever, Autumn was trembeling with fear, Talon looked fine, while Kace looked like he was about to explode. 

Then after a few minutes I finally said,"Okay, you all are terrible liars." 

Autumn started walking over to me with her nervousness engraved into her face. 

She looked so nervous that I assured her that, "Autumn, if you need to tell me something you can. You know you can tell me anything."

She nodded and answered, "I know, but I don't know how much you'll like me as a person after I tell you this."

"There's nothing you can say that will make me not want to be your friend!" I reminded her.

She closed eyes and made her face as small as possible. Then she blurted out, "Noelle, I'm lesbian."