Chapter 4

❤️Alex's POV❤️

"What is to eat, George?" A girl wearing all blue asks. (Remember Eliza isn't in the facility kids)

"Just some Mac 'n cheese. And salmon patties for John and anyone who doesn't want Mac 'n cheese." He explains.

I turn to John. "Why do you get salmon patties?"

"My dad put down that I'm allergic to dairy. My mom was very against it. He also tried putting that I was allergic to meat because she was also vegetarian, but they didn't fall for that one. Plus, I wouldn't eat dairy anyway. Most of my eating problem is because my mom told me that eating that stuff was bad and I didn't get a pill or anything to replace the important things in meats." He explains in a quiet tone.

"You said your dad put down what you couldn't eat. Why didn't your mom do it?" I ask

"Mom died from cancer when I was 13." He says with a sad expression.

"Oh, I'm sorry John. My mom died, too."

"Im sorry."

Food gets shoved in our faces by the adults around. They watched our eyes like hawks.

John tapped my arm lightly to get my attention.

He took pinches of his salmon patty and slid them into a napkin that he then slipped under the table. "Do the same." He whispered.

I repeated what he did and felt the girl in blue's hand take the napkin and then return it, empty. The adults had turned their heads to the nearby t.v. by now.

"You still need to eat a bite or two though. Unless your plan says not to." John says, eating a bite. "The food is actually good here compared to what my mom made when she was alive."

I took the three remaining bites and slipped them into my mouth. It was delicious. If I didn't have an eating disorder and didn't have a plan to follow, I would have ate it all.

"George, Alex and I are done." John yells out. 'George' turns around.

"You boys may go." He says, shooing us off.

We walk to our room down the hall. It smelled like light armpit stench mixed with some kind of flower scented air freshener.

"The girl that we gave the food to is named Veronica." John says once we had gotten far enough away from the others.

"Oh, okay." I respond. I know it sounded kind of foolish to say that but I really didn't want to embarrass myself. John was kinda cute. Okay, that's a lie, very cute. His brown hair tied up into a ponytail is beautiful. His freckles are like stars in the sky. All of his features are beautiful.

I just didn't want to ruin my chances with him. But I also don't want to get too attached, or he could ruin my plan.

Or, I could get so caught up that I could ruin my own plans.

I needed to be by Phillip's side. He was the closest thing I had.

505 words