Chapter 2

It felt like we were in the taxi for hours. My head grew heavy and I slept on my mother's lap. When I finally opened my eyes, we were parked in front of a small white weatherboard house encompassed by a picket fence. Although detail was hard to make out in the last light of the setting sun, I could see that the garden was overgrown with weeds and tufts of grass that were exploding in all directions. The strangest thing was the new combination of feelings I was sensing. Many of the surrounding houses held families sitting down for their evening meal. It was comfortable. I was comfortable. 

The thud of our suitcases hitting the sidewalk sounded followed by the slamming boot and driver's door. The taxi pulled out and drove down the street leaving Mum and I alone with only the sounds of cicadas and crickets to keep us company. I reached for her hand and her fingers interlocked with mine. We stood there watching as the final trickles of sunlight reflecting in the windows vanished. All that remained was the fluorescent light glowing dimly from the streetlights above.

I was shown to my new room. It was much bigger than my old room. I had my own bathroom and closet. There was too much space for my sparse collection of clothing and single soft toy. I shuffled down the staircase after Mum, my fingers never leaving hers. Mum flicked on the light which hung from the high ceiling and it swung in the draft. There were no windows, and if there were I doubted I would see anything. We were underground, I was certain. I shivered within the bare concrete walls. Mum walked me to the single bed and lifted me into its soft covers. "I'll buy you a heater tomorrow," she smiled. "I promise." Her lips brushed the soft hairs on my forehead as she whispered goodnight.

With a flick of a switch, my room plunged into darkness, but I was warm in my nest of pillows and blankets. The last thing I heard before the throws of sleep overcame me was the sharp click of a lock falling into place.