Chapter Two: Poppy

Mr. Hyder chewed his bottom lip, inspecting the toxic mess that was our pasta.

Nice going, Julia, I thought bitterly to myself. If it weren't for my crush on her, I'd have been royally pissed. But she was cute, and one can't simply ignore pretty girls. I tugged at a flyaway green hair as Mr. H's critical gaze swept over our food.

"Well this was... Interesting," he mused in his Midwestern twang. He sniffed the air with a puzzled look. "Cinnamon?" I elbowed Julia in the stomach, causing her to double over.

"That was Einstein here's interesting decision," I muttered. "Sweeter my a-"

"Ladies, I think you know you failed this assignment." I forced myself to breathe a little deeper, analyze the situation just like Julia taught me to.

"Sir, I can't afford this. Look, if there's any way I can make it up-"

"We can wash dishes after school!" Julia piped from beside me, twisting her apron at the ends.

"I can... file?" I offered blankly. Mr. Hyder just shook his head and handed a card to both Julia and myself.

"Tutoring is after school on Fridays, Poppy. Maybe we can save your grade." The bell buzzed above us, and, eager to escape, I scooped up my belongings and left without Julia, unlike most days. The sound of boot heels on linoleum was driving me insane.

-

Julia caught up with me.

"I heard some other kids failed," she said.

"Fuck it all," I retorted, moving at a faster pace.

"You're upset?" she huffed. "My parents are going to ground me, Poppy. Like, longer than last time. That was the worst, and they can only make it worse. Jesus fuck, they're just so hung up on grades and Mr. Hyder isn't making it any easier..."

There she went again, talking and talking, on and on. So I did the only logical thing a girl with a crush is to do to shut Julia up.

I kissed her.