Chapter 1

Keigan's POV

"Alright. All you have to do is sign here and you are all set." I sign the contract, knowing that it will change my life forever. "Welcome to the US Women's National Soccer Team!" Jill Ellis says. Wow, I've made it. I achieved my dream of being on the USWNT!

"All we have to do is get a few promotional photos with you today, and then you'll be on your way to the hotel for your first team meeting of this camp. Congratulations Keigan, we all know how hard you've been working for this." The president of US Soccer says. "Thank you so much for this opportunity." I reply. He nods with a smile. "It's a pleasure to welcome you to the team." Jill Ellis speaks up from behind him, pulling me in for a hug.

I am guided to a different room, setup with lighting equipment and a bunch of cameras. Jill Ellis, Carlos Cordeiro (the president of US Soccer), and I stand together in front of the backdrop. I am handed a USWNT jersey with my last name and number, Clarke #31, on the back. I hold it proudly smiling with the head coach of the national team on my right and the president of the federation I am now representing on my left.

Today is a good day, I think to myself.

"Thank you so much Ms. Clarke. It's been a pleasure." Mr. Cordeiro says. I shake hands with him and say "The pleasure is all mine, thank you so much for signing me." He nods and heads on his way. After a few more interactions with my agent and other members of US Soccer who were present at the meeting, I am led out to a car that is going to take me to the hotel where the national team is staying. We are in Washington D.C. for a camp, and I will be introduced to the team tonight at the meeting.

Kelley's POV

"Did anyone hear about them signing a new keeper?" asks Ashlyn as we are all eating lunch. A few people nod their heads yes, but the rest of us have no clue what Ash is talking about.

"What do you mean? Like to move into the reserve spot?" asks Mal. "Yeah. Now that Hope is gone, Ash and I have to have a reserve on hand. It was me when Hope was around." explains Alyssa. I have no clue what they are talking about, but I listen in on the conversation getting as much information as I can. What? I'm a squirrel!

"My bet's placed on Jane." says Ali. Mal nods, but I disagree. "I think it's Clarke, the super mysterious one. She's silent, but deadly!" I say. Alex, Tobin, and Allie all laugh at my comment. "What? Can't I voice my opinion?" I say. "Oooh! Defensive squirrel!" says Tobin, making the table go into yet another laughing fit.

"You do have a point Kels, Clarke is good. She's the only one that can save my top left corner strike." says Alex pointing to me. "Tobs, do you have anything to say about her? She is your teammate after all." asks Alex as she turns towards her best friend. "Not much. I don't know her very well. Like the squirrel said, she is pretty quiet." replies Tobin.

"I guess you'll just have to wait and see." speaks Jill Ellis coming in behind us.

*Flashback*

"And another shutout for the Thorns! Goalkeeper Keigan Clarke has been unstoppable this season!" I frown, knowing that none of our shots are going to be able to get past the keeper. She really is that good.

As the final whistle blows, my team heads back to the locker room. As I'm about to go in, I notice #31 in the green jersey. The keeper. She is tall, lean, and muscular. Her long blonde hair that was once slicked back into a ponytail, is now messily tied into a bun on the top of her head. As she takes her gloves off, she smiles and waves to a few fans.

I head back into the locker room. "Ok. There are many things that we can learn from that match. One of them being how we can get past Keigan Clarke." I hear my coach saying. I'm not really paying attention. All I can focus on is that tall blonde keeper, who no one can figure out. "There is a reason why Portland has never traded her, and wants to keep her as their first pick in the draft. We need to crack down on how to stop her from blocking those goals."

"Yo! Kels!" I snap my head in the direction of the voice. "You ok?" Kailen asks. "Yeah I'm good." I reply.

"That's it folks. Sky Blue FC loses to Portland Thorns FC in the first round of the NWSL playoffs. Keigan Clarke manages to keep the score held down 2-0 for the Thorns, leading them to the advance in this year's playoffs. Tune in tomorrow at 11am to see FC Kansas City vs. Houston Dash."

*End of Flashback*