Chapter 13: To the Castle

Tyler POV

Alex marched ahead of Josh and I, bow at the ready. She hadn't said much else about her past in the kingdom of Varsallas, just that she had left. She never said why.

We had packed up camp soon after that stunning resolution, Alex claiming that we must keep moving. We walked in silence for hours at a time. Being alone with me and my thoughts has been driving me up the wall.

Eventually, after seven hours of non-stop walking, Alex pushed aside a tree branch and pointed. What I saw took my breath away.

Imagine the biggest castle that you can. This one was at least ten times bigger. I looked down at the castle one more time before turning my eyes to the city. Little lights poked out of the small houses that surrounded the castle. Like little stars trying to keep the darkness at bay.

Holy crap, that was cheesy.

"Follow Me." Alex whispered. She led us down to the outskirts of the great wall that surrounded the whole city. She had us crawl along the wall until we reached a rusty grate.

"The sewer!" Josh protested. "Your way into the city is the sewer?"

"You were the one who insisted on coming." She rolled her eyes. "My friend Simon is going to help sneak us into the castle. I sent him a message on the way here."

"How?" I asked.

"He's the palace cook. He brings supplies from the market up every few days. He'll hide us in his cart. Now be quiet and let's move."

Then we were back to silence. In all honesty, I had been in worse situations. That didn't make up for the smell, slime, or rats though.

Josh, however, was losing his mind. He was whimpering under his breath and cringing when she, I mean he, saw the rats. At least I had something to keep me entertained.

So we crawled. Alex in front, then Josh, with me bringing up the rear. We had been crawling for about half an hour when Alex stopped.

"Ok, this is the grate we're meeting him at." She pushed the rusty grate off its hinges and crawled outside. We followed.

"Simon, Its so good to see you." Alex said.

I looked up at the man. He had grey hair and a long, pointed nose. He had blue eyes and a good natured face, with only a few wrinkles. He had a guilty look about him....

"Tyler, Josh. This is Simon. We've been friends for ages."

"Yes we have," Simon said with a pained look on his face. "And I'm sorry."

At first Alex looked confused. Then she drew her bow. "We have to get out of-" An arrow spurred from her leg. She cried out in pain. With a shaky breath she stood, glaring up at the face in front of her.

Men came out of the shadows, grabbing the three of us. We struggled, but couldn't escape their grasp

I tried to make out the leader's face, but I couldn't through the darkness. Then he spoke. "Samantha, So lovely of you to join us."

A/N

What's up? Thanks for reading. Sorry about the space between chapters. Honestly, I don't have an excuse, I was just lazy. I promise to post again soon.  Vote, Comment, Share, and Follow Me. I will love you if you do. :) Peace Out and DFTBA.