Parents fight . . . Till Death

I could not believe my eyes.
Was I hallucinating ? How could this be possible ? My mind was overwhelming with thoughts and my heart was overcome by emotion. The dam of emotions broke, tears flowed down my cheeks and I ran towards her . . .

I have never seen people go crazy. Surely there were people who would do all kinds of insanely crazy things but those were just 'publicity' stunts, they are crazy byt not 'scary' crazy. I did not realise how scary it would be until I lost my mind, experienced it myself.

I woke up to the usual voices of arguments and yelling. It had started around a few months ago; the shouting, the cursing, the breaking-furniture-destroying-the-house kind of fights. It became more and more intense with every fight. I went to school wishing this would come to an end and it did, but they way in which it did, was so horrible and devastating.

Among the two, my mother was the good parent. Their relationship went downhill the day my father was fired from his job. He was paranoid, stealthy and annoying. These past few days all his crankiness were on overkill mode, so much that it got over with a kill.

When I came back from school that day, my parents took me to our cabin in the woods. They thought it would be a pause on all the tension and clear up the air a bit. It was friday, the weekend was upon us and so was doom.

On saturday the fighting began again and it did not stop. Oh boy, I couldn't have picked a more worse time to step out of my room, my father was aiming his rifle at my mother. When he saw me, he got agitated, he pointed it at me and motioned the gun as if to say ' go back to your room'. Before I could do anything, a sandal's heel hit my father's eye and he howled in agony, that very moment my mother grabbed my wrist and we made a run for the door and our lives.

We reached the car, mother was dialing the police but before we could get in the car, my father fired at the gas tank. The gas tank was punctured and every hope of getting out of here alive was also destroyed. Seeing no other option we ran into the woods. To make matters worse, my mother accidently dropped her phone near the car.

My father was an excellent tracker and she knew he would track us down so she made the decision of her life. When we came by a stream, she hugged me and told me to run downstream while she ran upstream. That was the last time I saw her.

It has been 2 years. My father's body was later found in bits and pieces. He was mauled by a wild bear. My mother's body was never found, she was declared dead, after months of searching. From that day on my brain became my body's enemy, it betrayed me, I became crazy, scary crazy.

For the past two years my nights have been haunted by nightmares. I could not focus on anything. It was as if that day was branded on my brain. I began hallucinating, sleepwalking, talking to myself. I had night terrors, I cried myself to sleep almost everyday. I was trying everything I could to cope with the tragedy except I could not.

I have been visiting a psychiatrist for over a year now. He had asked me to make a friend and go to his house, which I did, reluctantly. And when I was returning I saw her.

She was smiling, arms open. I ran with all my might and hugged her tight. I never wanted to let her go, "Where have you been ?" I asked in a cracked voice.

"I have always been with you," she said with a smile. I do not understand how it happened but she began to glow and then she disappeared like shiny white Stardust into the wind. Crestfallen I realised it was another hallucination, it had been a long time since I had one, my mind was playing tricks still. This one felt different somehow, I couldn't put my finger on it, but it did. I turned to go home when my phone rang, "Hello," I answered.

"Perseus is that you ?" An eerily familar voice replied, no one has called me that in a really long time.

"Mother ?" I asked.

"OH! Thank the gods ! I found you."

≈~~•  THE END •~~≈